Storing Remaining Juvederm?

So, I Had 0.3 Upper Lip, Plastic Doc Said I Could Save the Rest As Long As a Month, Now That I Have Upper lip... So I have read the post from you guys about storing the remainder of the $500.00 syringe I bought, which he only injected 0.3 according to him, now nervous to use the remaining due to infection/ cross contamination.... What should I do? What should I ask Doc, I don't want to make him mad, I just know it was expensive for a small amt. plus my upper lip looks like duck, how do I approach him without making him mad at me??

Not good medical practice

+1

I do not save patient's product for risk of infection; it is not medically sound practice. I would advise buying a smaller syringe (0.5cc syringe of Juvederm) if you are desiring less in the future. Filling 0.3cc is definitely a minimal amount, but it's possible he wanted to be conservative. I would not risk reuse. Best of luck.

Storing Remaining Juvederm?

+1

Some doctors will do this, but I do not store any product.  I am not sure that the risk is worth the volume saved.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Best to use all of the Juvederm at one setting

+1

It is usually best to use all of the Juvederm at one setting.   I do not think that this violates any medical standard to store your syringe for up to 6 weeks.  I do not make a practice of it but if it is stored correctly, labeled correctly so that no other patient could be injected with the same syringe I would think it would be fine.  

Saving Juvederm

+1

I suggest discussing openly with the physician.  Your questions are reasonable.  You may ask how and where the product is stored.  Best wishes...

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Storing Remaining Juvederm?

+1

This idea of storing, saving or somehow re-using a partial syringe of any filler is against all medical safety regulations.  Please check with your local medical board and see if they would allow your MD to do this.  This violates all premise of patient safety against contamination of body fluids.  This should not happen.  Patient safety is first and should override any notion of cost savings by re-using the syringe.

Storing Remaining Juvederm?

+1

Don't fret about using up the remaining Juvederm within a month.  It should be perfectly fine. It's a matter of protocol only that we try not to store the product more than a month or so.  Not because we feel it will strongly that it will become contaminated.  It's just a practice standard but there are always exceptions to rules.  To only use .3 ml and waste the rest is not fair or a good practice for patients either.  If you have places to use it, then return and use it up!

Sam Naficy, MD

Can you store hyaluronic acids?

+1

Yes it's better to use all of a filler in one treatment for all the reasons you see listed.  But there are times when we store filler and here's why.  One, because manufacturers make money on the sale of their product, so it's obvious why they suggest that you should not save any for the patient.  Two, if patients only want a little lip fullness, or tear trough softening, that's what I treat.  I don't try to upsell them on a new area of treatment just to use product.  Plus as one of the other physicians point out, banking the product allows the injector to start with conservative treatments knowing that they have material to touch up a patient as well.  Third, it adds value directly to the patient.  Four, any office that banks product will have protocols in place to prevent contamination or product confusion.  And finally five, studies have shown it to be safe.  This is very important, because we can prove that bacteria do not creap into a banked product. A couple of years ago a study was done attempting to culture from banked hyaluronic acid.  Nothing grew in any case.

And I have to agree with one of the other's comment:  don't worry about your physician if you ask a question or challenge a practice.  It's just good medicine to partner with your physician when you want your best outcomes.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Storing leftover filler

+1

This is a controversial issue. I have stored for patients in the past but try not to do it now - I can almost always find somewhere to put all of the filler that my patients paid for. When I did store, the filler was capped on the tray and then sealed in an autoclave bag and labeled carefully and stored in refrigerator. I have never heard of any problems - infection or otherwise - doing this, but it is not something I no longer do. I am sure that if your plastic surgeon stored the remaining filler for you that he did it conscientiously and in a safe and sterile manner. I hope that helps a bit!

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Storing Remaining Filler

+1

The idea of "storing" leftover filler, such as Juvederm, for later use is controversial at best, and not advisable, in my opinion.  I have spoken with representatives of two filler manufacturers, and both said that their company strongly discourages this practice and they will not assume any liability in cases where there are complications related to injection of previously opened product.  This stance makes sense to me, as an opened syringe of hyaluronic acid gel would potentially be a good culture medium for bacteria.

In addition, if you are seeing a physician who is an expert injector, there is really no need to store unused but opened product,. Restylane and Radiesse come in 0.5 ml. and 0.3 ml. syringes, respectively, which are ideal for treating smaller areas or doing touch up work.  I also tell patients that if we don't use an entire syringe in one area, we can usually find somewhere else to put it.  They almost always agree with this idea!

I advise patients that if they go to an injector who offers to "store" unused product for later, they should walk out the door and don't look back.  I may be more conservative than some regarding this issue, but I feel that it is not worth taking unnecessary risk for an elective procedure.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Storing Juvederm

+1

It is best to use all of the filler syringe at one treatment. However, if there is some product left over, some physicians will save and reuse it for the same patient as a touch up. You should never be afraid of asking questions of your surgeon or about your procedure. It is all about being well informed about a service that involves your health and your body.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon