Gentle(ish) Pressure or Compression to the Swollen Supratip and Tip?

I had rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago and i keep gently touching/compressing my supratip and tip in the mirror to see what my nose will look like from side on without so much of the swelling that is currently there. (I want to get an idea of what it will look like once the tips not as swollen as I am worried that the tip is quite large at the moment!). I realise it is pointless but will this pressure that i have been putting on affect the sutures internally or the final result around the tip?

Pressure on the Nose Following Surgery

+3

I would advise you to stop trying to push on the nose. Placing pressure on the tip and supratip region can certainly cause unwanted damage to the nose, especially if delicate grafting was performed and/or sutures were used to reshape the tip region. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pressure on the nose following rhinoplasty

+2

2 weeks is still very soon after your surgery, and you are near the peak of your swelling. In general, the final result may not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling will be resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. I would not recommend putting any pressure on your nose, as this can increase swelling and delay your healing time. It is generally best to avoid touching the nose while you are in the early stages of healing. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Gentle Pressure or Compression of Nose 2 Weeks Post-Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Minimann,

It is best to give your rhinoplasty surgeon a call or visit and ask about your concern.  We often instruct our post rhinoplasty patients to gently massage their nose.  As long as you are gentle, no harm should be done, but make sure that you clear this maneuver  with your surgeon.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Compression to the tip after Rhinoplasty is best left alone.

+2

Dear Minimann, It is best that you leave the the tip alone and stop compressing in this area. As you stated it is pointless as time alone will show you your post operative result. You do not want to cause more inflammation by manipulation. I would suggest frequent post operative visits with your surgeon to keep your mind at ease. Your surgeon will be able to tell you where you are in the recovery phase and what should be expected with your results. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Pressure on the Tip after Rhinoplasty

+2

I would recommend for you to stop testing the nose, as I would not want any tip sutures (if they were used) to be compromised.  This is certainly not helping your nose, but this may not be hurting your nose.