Genioplasty Without Adding Vertical Height?

I have a chin implant which I'm very unhappy with (a replacement implant isn't an option). I'm considering a sliding genioplasty. However, I don't want to have a longer looking face from the front. Is it possible to perform a sliding genioplasty without adding vertical height to the chin?

Sliding genioplasty can be done without adding vertical height

+1

Yes, it is possible to perform a sliding genioplasty without adding vertical height to the face. The precise direction that the chin advances forward is based on the angle of the cut in jaw bone itself.  A cut in the bone that is made parallel to the plane where the teeth meet (called the occlusal plane) will allow for isolated forward advancement without adding a vertical component.

Genioplasty

+1

Performed correctly a sliding genioplasy can permit projection with out increasing vertical height.  A proper consultation with xrays and photos is imperative to determine if one is a candidate for such a procedure. 

Lee Kleiman, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon