Can Genetic, Hollowed Tear Troughs Be Corrected with Dermal Filler, with Low to No Risk of Development of "Bags"? If So, Which?

Since I was a child I've had markedly dark lower lid area. Mostly on the inner-most quarter. From early adulthood onward my background has often been mistaken as Indian, though I'm of Mexican and Mediterranean mixed blood. Since aging onset, this area has expanded to the outward most quarter, to near the height of my pupil. My biggest concern with any dermal filler is overcorrection, or the formation of bags/festoons. If can be corrected, would it be best to start with few IU of hyaluronan?

Genetic Hallow Tear Troughs

+2

You have a groove in the tear troughs and this extends at the margin of the entire lower eyelids. Success will depend not on the filler injected but the technique of the physician. If you are terribly concerned about bags or festoons use Restylane which can be reversed with the injection of an enzyme.

Tear trough fillers

+2

You should do fine with fillers such as Restylane or Belotero with low risks. Having said that, the tear troughs are one of the more difficult areas to do well. Find a very experienced doctor in this area, ask to see a lot of before and after photos, ask a lot of questions. The nice thing is once it is done, it should last a few years. The surgical option, i.e lower lid blepharoplasty with fat repositioning, is permanent.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Injectable Fillers For Lower Eyelid and Tear Trough

+2

Dear davidtorrette,

Lower eyelid and tear trough hollowing are common cosmetic concerns that can be improved using injectable fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm.

Some patients, however, may be better candidates for other treatments such as fat grafting or lower blepharoplasty. Accordingly, it is important to see an experienced provider who performs the full range of cosmetic treatments ranging from injectables to surgery.

It is also critical to find a skilled and experienced injector, as the eyes are a very delicate region.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Genetic tear trough hollowing

+2

This is a common problem in many ethnic groups which is well treated with Restylane injections. Formation of festoons is not a common problem as long as there is not a significant amount of loose skin.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best fillers for dark circles

+1

Dermal fillers are an excellent treatment choice for under eye dark circles or hollowness. However, the result depends on the technique of injection, amount of filler and type of filler injected. The best fillers to use are of the hyaluronic acid gel variety since they are reversible. They include Belotero, Restylane and Juvederm.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear Trough Hollowness

+1

The tear trough hollowness is a common area of concern with patients.  Dermal fillers can help improve this area but it is dependent on the skill of the injector, not necessarily only the type of filler used.  It would be unusual to develop festoon from dermal fillers if properly injected.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD