I Was Strangled After Rhinoplasty, Would This Pressure Affect The Surgery Results?

This is probably an unusual question but i had a rhinoplasty about 4 mths ago. 3 months after surgery i was in a domestic violence situation where my then partner tried to strangle me with a belt around my neck, for several minutes. This created a lot of pressure in my nose and i am wondering whether this would have caused a change in the tissue of the nose etc. It feels fine now, but i do feel the tip looks a little lower than it did? Needless to say i am no longer in this relationship!

Brief increased blood congestion in nose at one month following surgery likely not detrimental

+1

Thank you for the question.  Needless to say that not being in that relationship is by far the most important health improvement for you.  During your domestic violence incident the blood supply and return from your face was briefly reduced.  This can have a pressure like feeling in your face and nose as the venous outflow is slowed down more than the arterial inflow.  This brief effect alone at one month is unlikely to cause a permanent affect on your nose.

Dr. Remus Repta

Highly unlikely

+1

Since you feel fine now,it is unlikely to cause a permanent damage to your nose.

However I would advise you to go back to your surgeon for a follow up.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Strangulation after rhinoplasty

+1

Your first priority is to ensure you are safe, and that this does not repeat itself. strangulation would  cut the blood flow temporarily to your tissues. Once the pressure is released the blood flow pattern should return, and if no permanent bluish discoloration was present, I would assume that everything should heal fine. However I would advise you to follow up with your surgeon.

My Best,

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon