African American Woman Wants To Know Expectations For Breast Reduction Surgery

I'm 5'3, weighing 165 lbs, wearing a 36DDD. My surgeon stated he would remove between 600-800 grams. Would that bring me to a 36C or a 36D? Are there any OTC scarring/fade creams that you recommend? I'm an African American woman, and am aware that these scars will be permanent. Can you rate the level of pain that your patients have once they wake up? Does this procedure include lipo of the small area of fat between the arm and the breast? Do back/bra rolls minimize with this procedure?

Expectations following a breast reduction for an African-American woman

+2

Without photos, and examination and more, it is impossible to predict what cup size that you will be after breast reduction surgery. Too many factors play a role including the non-standardization of cup sizes; that is, one company's "D" cup may fit exactly the same as another company's "C" cup.

Most patients after breast reduction surgery find that the pain level is any where from minimal to moderate. Many, in fact, take little or no pain meds. How you would respond can't be determined without additional information.

There are agents that you can use following surgery that can help your scars heal relatively well. I find that a vast majority of my African-American breast reduction patients form quite acceptable scars and keloids and hypertrophic scars are rare.

Bresat reduction

+1

Without an exam it is very hard to predict how much tissue would be required to be removed for your frame and for your breast size.  AS for pain, most patients are not too uncomfortable.  Most tell me the pain is usually about 3- 4 out of 10 where 10 is the worst pain imaginable. AS for scarring, it is hard to predict how you will do, a good predictor is the type of scarring that you developed on other body parts from previous surgery and/or family history.

What to expect from breast reduction surgery

+1

As a general rule; 250cc roughly equals one cup size. Mederma seems to work pretty well to reduce the appearance of scars. As far as pain associated with this procedure- it varies from person to person. Most of my patients complain of tightness more than pain. Some surgeons may include lipo in conjunction, but I generally don't. I like to excise the excess fat in that area as I have direct access to it. This allows me to keep the time my patient is under anesthesia at a minimum. If you are concerned about scars, I strongly suggest you look into a new technique called the Ultimate Breast Reduction. Breasts are lifted high and with no vertical scars. This technique works nicely despite size or amount of ptosis. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Expectations?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to consider breast reduction surgery;  It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I usually suggest the use of silicone-based products ( sheeting or gel)  for patients who  request additional measures to improve scars.

Generally, on the scale of all procedures we perform,  breast reduction tends to be relatively pain-free ( for example compared to breast augmentation or tummy tuck surgery).  Of course, every patient's experience will be different.

Some surgeons will perform liposuction or direct excision of excess skin and/or adipose tissue  in the area that you describe ( some will charge extra,  some won't).

Generally you will not find that back/bra rolls minimize with  this procedure.