No General Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck?

I had a stroke in my occipital lobe while under anesthesia 4 years ago. I need to have a tummy tuck due to a multiple birth, medication that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight and overall self esteem. I am deathly afraid to go under again. Is it possible to get a tummy tuck with an epidural or local anesthesia? I have a plastic surgeon who will do it but it is going to cost me $16,000.00. I need to research other doctors in the Upstate NY area. That is A LOT of money...

Epidural for Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty

+2

Yes, we do tummy tuck / abdominoplasty using epidural anesthesia.  This is a great alternative for patients who do not want general anesthesia or who cannot have general anesthesia.  However, you still need to make sure that you are a good medical candidate for any anesthesia and a good candidate for the surgery.  Tummy tuck is indicated for patients with excess or loss skin above and below the belly button and also to repair rectus diastasis or separation of the muscles.  Tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure.  Cost of procedure is dependent on the location where you are having the surgery and on your surgeon.

Good luck.

No General Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck?

+2

This can be done under spinal or epidural anesthesia without requiring general anesthesia. Check realself listings for other surgeons in your area.

No General Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck?

+1

Tummy tuck surgery can theoretically be performed under a variety of different anesthesia “techniques”. 

I perform tummy tuck operations in an out patient surgery center, and under general anesthesia only.  Patients are also taken care of by Board Certified Anesthesiologists who monitor my patients from start to end so as to provide the safest environment for my patients.  Patient safety, comfort, and quality of outcome are best  assured, utilizing this “protocol”. 

I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

No General Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck? #tummytuck

+1

First and foremost you need to make sure your primary care doctor thinks you are safe for an elective procedure. The stakes are high when you have had a problem already in the past. You can have this done in the way you ask, but one has to be very careful. If the spinal or epidural is not done at the correct level you can have sensation higher up on the abdomen. If you have the anesthetic placed too high your diaphragm will be paralyzed thus needing a breathing tube. Make sure you dot all of your i's and cross all of your t's on this one before you proceed.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Tummy tuck under epidural

+1
It is possible to perform a tummy tuck under epidural with the caveat that, occasionally, epidurals do not take well and cases are then converted to general anesthesia. Local is not an option whatsoever. I see that your local doctors have "upstate syndrome"; ironically, it can be much more expensive there than in NYC where there is much more competition. Regardless of where you have the surgery, you will need medical clearance based on your history. It is also important to know your weight. Abdominoplasty is not a weight loss alternative. Best wishes Dr K

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Anesthesia Choices with Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes, a tummy tuck can be done with an epidural anesthesia, but not all anesthesiologists are comfortable or practiced with the technique, so your surgeon may need to search a bit to find the right doctor.

Be sure that your primary doctor and neurologist feel it is safe for you to proceed with a general or epidural anesthesia, and that you have a preop visit with the anesthesiologist if it is feasible.

If your weight is part of the issue, explore all avenues for support with weight loss, before you proceed with tummy tuck.  An obese abdomen and tummy tuck are a problematic combination that can lead to significant complications and even, in extreme situations, result in death.

Costs for procedures can vary depending on your geographic location and the complexity and risk associated with your particular procedure.

Good luck!  I hope you achieve the outcome you are looking for!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Are you sure you are a candidate?

+1

Sounds like you need to lose weight before surgery, a tummy tuck is for excess skin not excess fat. What is your BMI == if it is over 30 forget it. Anesthesia seems like the least of your concerns. You may have other issues and should have medical clearance before.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD