Gel Silicone Sheets & Breast Reduction?

Should you use vertical/anchor incision scar treatment gel silicone sheets after the sutures have been taken out as preventive treatment for scars even thought there are no signs of hyperpigmentation,raised scars etc. Will doing this make your scars looks more aesthetically appealing or just make the healing process worse?

Silicone sheets after breast reduction

+1
Silicone sheets can help improve the appearance of scars even if they are not hypertrophic. You can apply them after the steristrips have fallen off and the incisions have closed.

Silicone sheets for incisions

+1

Yes, silicone sheets have been shown to improve incision healing and appearance.  It is up to you if you want to use these treatments.  My philosophy is that it can't hurt so why not try everything that may be helpful.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast Reduction Silicone Sheets?

+1

You will find that every plastic surgeon has his/her preferences regarding incision line care after breast reduction surgery. Therefore, it will be best to run this question by your chosen plastic surgeon since he/she is ultimately this possible for your care/outcome.

Personally I use silicone sheeting or gel selectively for patients who may be at high risk for abnormal scarring.