Burning Sensation 3 Weeks After Getting Gel Implants

I Had Gel Implants 3 Weeks Ago & Am Now Feeling Burning Around Bottom & Sides of Breasts. I'm worried I may have ruptured them or caused a leak since I made the mistake of getting a very forceful massage (when lying on my stomach the masseuse was practically using all her body weight to push on my back).

Burning after breast augmentation

+4

It sounds to me that you are experiencing pain associated with nerve regeneration. During a breast augmentation it is not unusual for various nerves to be aggrevated or disturbed. As they heal themselves you may experience unusual sensations, such as the burning you described, or tingling.  This should settle itself out in a few more weeks.  I hope this answers your question.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Part of recovery after breast augmentation

+4

Do you know how painful and hypersensitive your leg is when it "falls asleep" and then wakes up? That pins and needles type of feeling? It's even painful to walk on. Sometimes, do you have to stamp your foot to get it to feel normal?  That is one type of dysesthesia that is due to compression of the nerve in your thigh.

Similar problems occur with nerves in your breast that travel to your nipple. When the implant stretches and rests on them, the nerves can be painful and tingling and burning. Generally this is worse for the first 10 days to 3 weeks and then gets better

Burning sensation after augmentation

+3

At 3 weeks post surgery, you are very early in the postoperative time period. Sensory changes are common and usually subside. Implant rupture from massage would be rare. I recommend avoiding massage again until after you've healed for another 4 to 6 weeks. If the pain does not subside, reconsult with your surgeon for an exam.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured Implant?

+1

It is very difficult to break the implants.  You would need to get an x-ray (ultrasound) to know for sure though. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Burning sensation after implants

+1

It is normal to have sensory changes afte a breast augmentation. This usually gets better in most cases within six or seven weeks.