I Had Gastric Bypass over 2 Years Ago and Now Having Reconstructive Surgery. Risk of Doing Multiple Surgeries At Once?

I had gastric bypass over 2 years ago and am now going to have an abdominal plasty and mastectomy with augmentation all at one time. My surgeon has over 22 years experience and states he can do the surgery in about 5.5 hrs. I really do not want to break them up, is a safe to do both surgeries at the same time? How should I expect my recovery to be?

Multiple surgical procedures after weight loss surgery

+1

Timing and planning of multiple surgical procedures is a common question and patient concern.  Combining an abdominoplasty and breast surgery is not an unusual request after weight loss surgery.   There is a slightly higher risk of complications with this combination.   As long as you are in good physical health and have no overriding medical conditions you should be a good candidate. With this combination the highest priority has to be safety and the prevention of DVT and PE.

Augmentation mastopexy and abdominoplasty done at the same time

+1

I routinely do both of these surgeries at the same time as I feel they can be done in a reasonable amount of time in the outpatient setting.  I feel that more than a planned 6 operative hours in the outpatient setting is when risk profiles start to increase.  Obviously your situation is unique and your surgeon feels it is appropriate. Then there is the issue of your nutritional status.  Make sure you are nutritionally replete prior to surgery.  Your surgeon should know how to test this.  If you have questions always feel free to get a second opinion. Recovery is upwards of 6 weeks usually.   Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

Tummy tuck and breast lift after bypass / Abdominoplastia y levantamiento de senos despues de cirugia bariatrica

+1

Doing a tummy tuck and breast lift with an augmentation is a very common combination.  Most competent surgeons will be able to accomplish this under the 5.5 hrs that you mention.  Because you are a post gastric bypass patient you actually might need a bigger more aggressive surgery.  If so then make sure that your board certified surgeon does these procedure often and well.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Hacerse una abdominoplastia con levantamiento/aumento de senos es una combinacion bastante comun. La mayoria de los cirujanos calificados puede realizar ambos procedimientos en la 5.5 horas que usted menciono. Devido a que usted es una paciente de cirugia bariatrica usted puede necesitar una cirugia un poco mas agresiva. Si este es el caso asegurese de que su cirujano certificado hace este tipo de procedimiento con frecuencia y bien.

Suerte y gracias por su pregunta.

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Combining procedures

+1

In most circumstances a tummy tuck and breast augmentation can be done safely at the same time. But, this is a case by case decision depending upon your health, etc..

Safety of combined procedures will depend on the circumstances...

+1

Hi there-

Under the right circumstances, the procedures you describe can be (and are) performed safely in one operation (I do so myself on carefully selected patients).

The key is making sure the circumstances are appropriate. So what are the important variables?-

It is first important to acknowledge that not all surgeons have the same levels of experience and relative efficiency in operating- in other words, if your surgeon can successfully complete these operations in under 6 hours, and the facility is equipped to care for you and monitor you appropriately after surgery, AND you are in good health and are otherwise a good candidate for the procedures, then combining the procedures should be safe to consider.

On the other hand, if you have medical problems that elevate your risk during longer operations, or if the procedure is going to be longer than 6 hours, or the facility is not properly equipped to manage patients after longer anesthetics, I would be more inclined to consider performing them at two stages.

Your surgeon ought to know what has been safe and effective in his practice in the past. If he believes you are a good candidate, and that he can complete the procedures in a reasonable period of time, and that the facility is equipped to manage you care after surgery, you should be okay to proceed.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Combined surgeries

+1

many patients are good candidate for combined surgeries which can certainly be done in a very safe manner.  The amount of time you mentioned is at the upper end of what I would consider for one operation (especially in a private outpatient surgery center)  I routinely perform this type of combined procedure, but of course each patient must be carefully evaluated to determine whether or not you are a candidate for surgery and then if you are a candidate for a combined procedure of this nature.  good luck.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Risk Of Multiple Procedures

+1

There is always some increased risk in performing multiple surgeries and (as with all surgery) you must weigh the benefits and risks.  There often is some degree of financial incentive with multiple surgeries.  If your surgeon can perform these procedures in 5.5 hours, that seems reasonable if you are in relatively good health.

John Whitt, MD

Multiple procedures

+1
I do not perform combined procedures on the gastric bypass population which I find has abnormal blood values based on malabsorption and other issues. I think the risks are increased in this patient group and prefer to separate the surgeries. That said, 5.5 hours is the known maximum before complications markedly increase from surgery and, if your surgeon can do that much surgery in this time period, it may be medically safe. If the length of surgery was longer, in the event of intraoperative complications, then there could be cause for concern. Recovery from the combined procedure would be a minimum of 14 days.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Multiple procedures at once

+1

Doing multiple procedures at one time can be performed safely.  Your surgeon should make sure that you are a good candidate from a medical standpoint to undergo these combined procedures for 5.5 hours.  Doing things together has the advantage of one anesthesia and one recovery period.  In my experience patients will likely be uncomfortable for 10-14 days.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon