Gastric Bypass W/ Wound Healing Issues?

I'm planning on having a gastric bypass within the next 6 months. My problem is that I have never healed very well. I have wounds that have been scabs for years (literally) and have never gotten better. The stomach stapling concerns me. Is there anything I can do, or is this even a problem at all for surgeons?

Wound Healing and Gastric Bypass

+2

Due to the fact that we perform the majority of gastric bypass laparoscopically wound healing is usually not a big concern. There are usually six very small incisions which heal very well. You and your surgeon will limit the reasons why someone would heal poorly, such as quitting smoking which is extremely important. Tight glucose control for diabetics is also very important for wound healing. Keeping sugars within the normal range is very important.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Wound healing and gastric bypass

+1

With the old fashioned way of doing gastric bypass through a large open incision wound problems were very prevalent.  With the laparoscopic approach we currently use the wounds are very tiny and problems are rare.

Shawn Garber, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Wound Healing and Gastric Bypass

+1

The advent of laparoscopic surgery allows surgeons the ability to perform complex surgeries such as gastric bypass with less morbidity and complications as compared to open surgery.  Wound healing issues are usually minor with laparoscopic surgery since the incisions tend to be small therefore the healing time is less and the trauma to the soft tissue is less. Some patiens have a tendency to "heal" well and some not as well. There are some variables that surgeons can work on before surgery to improve wound healing which include proper nutrition, vitamin A supplementation if taking steroids, smoking cessation prior to surgery (very important) etc. Please consult with your surgeon if you have concerns about wound healing.

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon