Gastric Bypass W/ Gall Bladder Removal

I read that sometimes the gall bladder is removed as part of the surgery. What determines whether I get to keep my gall bladder? Is it riskier if it's removed?

Gallbladder removal with gastric bypass

+1

We perform ultrasound of the gallbladder in all of our patients prior to surgery and recommend removal of the gallbladder in all patients that have gallstones.  If you pass a gallstone after gastric bypass surgery it can be very difficult to treat.

Web reference: http://stopobesityforlife.com

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Gallbladder removal with gastric bypass

+1

If you are having symptoms with your gallbladder and you are scheduled for a gastric bypass then it s very reasonable to have both done at  the same time without compromising outcome.  Typicall we do not perform both at the same time unless there is a specific reason to do so such as gallbladder symptoms with stones. 

Houston Bariatric Surgeon