Gastric Bypass and Tummy Tuck at the Same Time?

I've had a Gastric bypass (8 years out) and now I need to have a hernia repair re-done. I want to have a Tummy Tuck at the same time. Is this possible and what will it cost me?

Combination weight loss surgery

+1

Yes, it is possible to have both procedures performed at the same time. As other doctors have noted, you will need to make sure that your surgeons coordinate your treatment. As far as cost goes, you will need to see whether your insurance may cover some aspects of your dual procedure. Best of luck!

San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and ventral hernia at the same time

+1

We routinely repair ventral hernias at the time of a tummy tuck.  We usually work in conjunction with a plastic surgeon.  We recommend plastic surgeons do the tummy tuck which is there area of expertise and that the general/bariatric surgeon fix the ventral hernia which is their area of expertise.  It is easiest to fix hernias at this time because the entire abdominal wall is exposed which makes for a great repair.

Shawn Garber, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Ventral Hernia Repair

+1

We have to consider size and location when dealing with ventral hernias and tummy tuck. This will determine lenght of surgery, need for hospitalization and costs. It is very common to correct a small ventral hernia in conjunction with a tummy tuck and a general surgeon will coordinate with a plastic surgeon on this. A ventral hernia can and is usually filed with insurance but a tummy tuck is usually a cash procedure not covered by insurance.

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

+1

As Dr. Aldea has nicely stated, most experienced plastic surgeons have Board Certification in both Surgery and Plastic Surgery. The younger generation of plastic surgeons has this less often. Either way, it is usually possible to do a hernia repair and a tummy tuck simultaneously. The costs can only be determined by your local doctors but the tummy tuck will not be covered by insurance. The surgery needs to be cooridnated between the doctors and both need to be in complete agreement that it is the wise thing to do for you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck at the same time

+1

Dear Jack,

If you are referring to a recurrent VENTRAL (Tummy) hernia, yes, it certainly can be done at the same time.

The vast majority of Plastic surgeons have fully trained in and are certified in General Surgery AS WELL AS in Plastic Surgery. As such, most of us are quite comfortable repairing ventral hernias. However, in the interest of political considerations we often have our General Surgery colleagues do these with us.

Being a cosmetic procedure, your Abdominoplasty (NOT panniculectomy) will NOT be paid for by your insurance company and you will be fully liable for its surgical, anesthesia and hospital cost.

The hernia RE-repair MAY be covered, but depending on the insurer would have to be pre-authorized by the surgeon performing it.

Once done, your plastic surgeon and general surgeon would have to agree on a time both can be in the OR at the same place and time to ccordinate your surgery. We do it all the time with gynecologists when women undergo GYN procedures and wish to combine them with cosmetic surgery.

Hope this helped.