Stapling Gastric Pouch Through the Esophagus

I heard there is a simple procedure that does some stapling on a stretched gastric pouch by way of the esophagus. Is this possible?

Transoral gastric bypass revision

+2

There are two transoral procedures available for weight gain after gastric bypass.  The stomaphyX procedure which does not work and the ROSE procedure which works in properly selected patients.  An endoscopy needs to be performed to see if you qualify.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Weight gain after Gastric Bypass

+1

95% of the time, weight gain after gastric bypass is related to poor nutritional habits, ie going back to the same old bad habits that got you overweight in the first place. Other anatomic reasons exist but these are not common. There is a procedure that is performed via the esophagus and can make the gastric pouch smaller but results are below average for weight loss. There is no long term data on this procedure at this point. I would not recomend this as a first option to treat significant weight gain after gastric bypass.

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon