1 Year Post-Gastric Bypass. Only Lost 62lb - Normal?

I had a gastric bypass last March and have only lost 62 in almost a year - Now 255. Is that normal? I exercise, eat the proteins first, eat complex carbs, etc. I admittedly do not take the supplements as I find them too expansive to take right now. Is my pouch possibly stretched too much? Please advise. Many thanks.

Inadequate weight loss after gastric bypass

+2

Most patients will lose about 70 - 80% of their excess weight the first year after gastric bypass surgery.  There are many reasons why you may not have achieved that results.  It could be your are not eating the right foods or not exercising enough.  It is also possible that the surgery was not performed correctly.  The gastric pouch could have been made too large or the connection between the stomach pouch and small intestine may have been made to larger so that pouch empties too fast.  These can easily be diagnosed by an endoscopy performed by a bariatric surgeon.  If this is the case there are revision procedures  like the ROSE procedure and band over bypass that can be offered to help you.  Remember that bariatric surgery is not a cure for morbid obesity but a toll that you need to work with to get the best results.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Had a gastric bypass and have only lost 62 in almost a year. Is that normal?

+2

Regarding:"1 Year Post-Gastric Bypass. Only Lost 62lb - Normal?
I had a gastric bypass last March and have only lost 62 in almost a year - Now 255. Is that normal? I exercise, eat the proteins first, eat complex carbs, etc. I admittedly do not take the supplements as I find them too expansive to take right now. Is my pouch possibly stretched too much? Please advise. Many thanks
."

No. That is not common. You should see both your bariatric surgeon and nutrionist to get to the bottom of this.

Dr. Aldea

Poor weight loss following gastric bypass

+1

There are many factors that contribute to poor weight after gastric bypass. Some are technical or surgery related and some are related to patient habits. Poor eating habits and lack of excersice will lead to poor weight loss after bariatric surgery no matter what kind of bariatric surgery. Also higher BMI patients tend to loose more wight than lower BMI patients so one should not look at the absolute weight rather weight loss in proportion to BMI. 

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon