I Had Gastric Bypass Lost a Lot of Weight and Now Need Help Getting Answers in Fixing my Body? (photo)

hello I had gastric bypass on 3-26-12 and lost 150 lbs I am 5'7 and 164 lbs, I am now probably an A cup in bra size, I would like to know if I would benefit most from a lift and implants or just implants, also how many cc is best for my height and weight? I workout 3-4 times a week, will my upper arms ever get tighter or I should just do the lift? is extended tummy tuck ok for me or regular tummy tuck with muscle tightening? my mom had breast cancer, do implants raise my chances? thank you all.

Extended abdominoplasty is often better than a conventional abdominoplasty in massive weight loss patients.

+2

Because of the sizable amount of surplus skin in the photograph, consideration of an extended abdominoplasty would be prudent. This involves a vertical as well as horizontal incision that tightens the skin in two directions.

I Had Gastric Bypass Lost a Lot of Weight and Now Need Help Getting Answers in Fixing my Body?

+2

As other patients postbariatric, you need surgery of your breast, and arms, and tummy tuck, some of them need surgery of the legs, also.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

+2

Great weight loss result. But you need ONLY in person evaluations to set up a surgery plan of staged operations. 

Massive weight loss and the surgery plan

+2

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss.  It is quite a journey.  However, it is a struggle with what to do with all the excess skin after you have lost the weight.  As always it is difficult to tell in pictures.  But one may consider a standard tummy tuck, breast augmentation.  It is always possible that a breast lift may be necessary depending on the surgeon's exam. Best of luck!

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

+2

I think that a tummy tuck, extended arm lift, and breast augmentation would be three operations that would produce the largest benefit given your anatomy.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Body Contouring after Major Weight Loss

+2
  • After major weight loss, either through diet and exercise, or with the help of a gastric bypass or lap band, patients are often left with excess skin of the upper arms, deflated and ptotic (sagging) breasts, as well as excess skin of the abdomen, thighs, back, and hips.  Additionally, the buttocks can descend as well... 
  • Although your photos cannot substitute for an actual examination in the office by a board certified plastic surgeon, it does appear that your have some glandular ptosis of your breasts, and a lift (mastopexy) would likely improve your breast shape considerably.  Implants could also be used, and there is no exact number of cc's that is best for a patient's height and weight.  Implant size is determined by each individual patient's breast anatomy and desires.  Additionally, a concomitant mastopexy may also limit the size of the implant that can be safely used.  Implants do not appear to raise the chances of getting breast cancer...
  • It is unlikely that your arm skin will tighten up over time, and an arm lift (brachioplasty) could help really improve your arm contour.
  • A tummy tuck would greatly improve your abdominal contour as well.  An actual physical examination would be needed to determine if a belt lipectomy (circumferential body lift, extended tummy tummy) would benefit you.  My guess, based on your photos, is that it would help with any descent of your buttocks that you likely have.
  • I definitely recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out exactly which operations would benefit you most.
  • Thanks for sharing your photos! 

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS