Should a Gastric Band Be Repositioned Where Possible Instead of Removal? (photo)

Gastric band fitted about 2.5 yrs ago. Lost 5st, down to 10st. I had it emptied 9 months ago due to complications. However, I cannot eat very much at all and I am still often sick.I had a barium swallow x-ray at Harley Street a week ago. My surgeon has told me there is no slippage but I can have it removed or replaced should i wish. I am confused. If it has not slipped why am I having problems that can't be seen on an xray? I don't want to remove it and get fat again but I am far from healthy.

Treatment of malfunctioning band

+2

I can't be absolutely sure, but based on your symptoms and the appearance of the x-ray, you may have concentric pouch dilation.  Whatever the diagnosis, you have to have something done.  I would NOT recommend another band.  As you have found, it is turning out to be a bad operation.  Why make the same mistake twice?

Consider having a conversion to another bariatric operation, such as sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass.  It can be done at the same time as the band removal procedure.

Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon