Are Surgeons with Consultation Fees More Established or Just More Expensive?

In wanting to begin my quest for the perfect lipo Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, I wld just like to do some research & receive comments "assessments" some free homework. Does this still exist? After 3 consultations...! How many consultations is to many?

Charging for consultations is surgeon, not talent, dependent

+3

Asking a patient to pay for a consultation is not unreasonable given the patient generally requires 30-60 minutes of the surgeon's time.  No doctor is getting rich off of consultations, just attributing SOME value to their time.  I my case I charge a consultation fee and if the patient has the procedure (s) with me the consultation fee is taken off of the procedure fee.  I have been in practice for going on 15 years and feel my time has at least some value;)  Some surgeons do not charge consultation fees, and then do really quick, cursory consults that don't really benefit either party.  Whether they get charged or not, the patient should, at the consultation, get a full examination, description of the procedures and a full discussion of the possible risks associated with the procedures so that they really are fully informed. 

Consult fees

+2

Charging for consultations has no bearing on ability or experience of the surgeon. It is purely a business decision.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Not a reasonable way to judge a surgeon

+1
This is not a reliable way to judge the experience, qualifications, or skills of a surgeon.  You should choose a surgeon based on recommendations and an evaluation of their training experience and outcomes.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Consultation Fees for Plastic Surgery

+1
Established plastic surgeons really must charge a consultation fee in an effort to try to limit their consultation time to people seriously interested in plastic surgery. Consultation fees do not even cover the costs of the time of a plastic surgeon. 
Why are some plastic surgeons more expensive than others? Plastic surgeons will have different prices based on their education and training, as well as the results they are able to provide for their patients.  Additionally, some low-priced plastic surgeons can cut a lot of corners when it comes to the surgical environment and surgical staff. This is not a wise way to save money.
For the safest and most pleasant plastic surgery experience research you plastic surgeon carefully and be confident with their training, education results and philosophy. Additionally, you want to ensure that the facility is accredited, fully equiipped with state-of-the-art technology and is meticulously clean.
Your safety, comfort and results are our highest priority at The Plastic Surgery Center. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Consultation fees well worth it

+1

In what field or specialty can you spend between 30 minutes to an hour  asking a physician questions about what bothers you for $50 to $150 ? In this era of plastic surgery shoppers I feel my time is worth something. I hope you will also!

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Consultation fees

+1

The goal of a consultation is to provide education so patients can make informed decisions regarding their care.  I spend 30-60 minutes with my new patients and charge a consultation fee of $50 that is applied to the cost of any scheduled procedure.  This is a one-time fee that is happily refunded to patients who feel their consultation was not worthwhile.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Cosmetic consultation fees

+1

Thank you for your question about cosmetic surgery consultation fees,

• Cosmetic consultation fees vary from free to $500 or more,
  • A thorough consultation takes 30-60 minutes.
  • people shopping around want a quick, free assessment.
  • We offer a free 15 minute mini-consult for 'shoppers'
  • People serious about surgery prefer a full consultation despite a required modest deposit credited to future treatment
  • Three cosmetic consultations seems plenty. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Charging a Fee for Consults

+1

The Plastic Surgeons and Injectors at the Centre for Plastic Surgery have never charged patients for consults as we believe that it is important for the public to be educated about the specialty of Plastic Surgery and what procedures are available to help them look and feel their best!

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Consultation Fees

+1

Hi Bk2me

Consultation fees really just cover overhead costs for most surgeons. Considering that your plumber/electrician etc usually have an appointment fee, pay for a surgeon's consultation is pretty reasonable. Surgeons that offer free consultations often have to adjust their surgical fees to make up for that time. Although paying a consult fee is not necessarily reflective of experience or training, it is likely to indicate a better level of care.

Free consultations are pretty rare in Sydney. There are some surgeons that offer a reduced rate for your first assessment if it is performed by the clinic nurse.

After 3 consultations, you are unlikely to hear anything new. You should make a decision based on patient and family doctor recommendations, and how you feel about the surgeons. The interpersonal connection is a strong indicator of how you will feel you are being cared for by that surgeon.

Good luck with your liposuction

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Why do surgeons charge a consultation fee?

+1

The decision to charge a consultation fee or not is a personal choice that each surgeon will make and has nothing to do with experience level or quality of care.  As others have already said, part of this decision may be geographic as well. I choose to charge a consultation fee because my time is valuable.  A consult with a new patient will typically require 45 minutes to an hour during which I will perform a physical exam and history and answer any questions that you may have.  Not only is my time involved but that of my office staff as well since my receptionist will create a medical chart and my nurse will check you in.  The consultation fee doesn't begin to address these expenses, but it does convey the impression that everyone's time is important.  For example, if I call my plumber or electrician, they will usually charge me $75 just for the trip regardless of whether anything needs to be repaired.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon