Gash Under Eye After Blepharoplasty: It Best to Excise and Resuture Scar or Laser?

After lower blepharoplasty during the post-op, in a state of anxiety I dabbed(stupid)briefly boiled water to stop infection. Anyway, one side has healed very well, however, I have been left with a small gash under the other eye. The operation was 2 years ago. Is my best option to excise the scar and re-suture or get laser? Also I'm very concerned that the gash is where the boiled water has re-opened or loosened the original sutures and the skin is too thin and sensitive for further treatment?

Blepharoplasty scar

+1

Peter,

Thanks for your question.  It is difficult to really make an assessment regarding your scar without a photograph and/or examination but know that there is a possibility that it may be improved to your satisfaction with surgery, steroids, laser treatment, etc.  At two years, the scar has matured and may be amenable to a number of scar revision options.  I would recommend you have a consultation with a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who specializes in the face to discuss your concerns further.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

LeBeau Clinic

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Problems after Blepharoplasty

+1

Yikes, there's no way for me to give you advise without seeing what the eyelid looks like, how big the scar is, if your lower eyelid is already malpositioned from scarring downward and how stiff, or soft the remaing lower eylid skin is at this point.  You may want to have several consultations with plastic and cosmetic surgeons with good reputations in your area.

Scar revision followed by laser treatments are best

+1

It doesn't necessarily matter how you got the scar--its there. Know that scars almost always can be improved. At two years, it is probably mature and will best be treated by revision surgery to remove/reposition, and possibly reorient the scar. I find resurfacing with a laser blends in a scar very nicely after a revision, however no scar can be completely erased. Post pictures to get a better, and more specific answer.

Reginald Rice, MD
Folsom Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nothing like seeing an expert and not treating yourself!

+1

Undoubtedly, this can be revised with a satisfactory improvement.  You did a stupid thing.  However, you are not alone.  People do goofy things after surgery with good intention.  Rather than living with this scar, please see your surgeon, be honest with them, and it is very likely they will be able to make this better.  After the procedure, follow their instructions to the letter and if there is an issue, don't treat yourself but rather immediate seek attention with your surgeon.