I think a gap between my front two teeth is growing bigger after braces, will wearing my retainers for longer help? (photo)

After braces, I've been wearing clear retainers for the past 6 months now- for varying hours. Last week, I was discharged from my dentist, however, I've noticed that there is a very small gap between my front two teeth. If I just wear my retainers for more hours, would this problem be fixed, or should I go back to my dentist? Thank you p.s. I can't get a good photo of my teeth that shows the problem, so I just found an image from the web. The only difference is that, my gap is wider at the top.

I think a gap between my front two teeth is growing bigger after braces, will wearing my retainers for longer help?

+2
I'm guessing you had this diastema (gap between your upper front teeth) before you had braces to straighten your teeth. If you did have the gap prior to treatment you will more than likely fight this gap reopening all of your life. The easiest way to solve the problem is by placing a fixed retainer between the two teeth after using the retainer to close the gap. 

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist