What is This Gap Between my Breast and Chest Wall and What Do I Do to Fix It? (photo)

3 mo. ago I had a breast aug. and got sub muscular silicone implants. I followed the Dr. instructions- no pushing, pulling, lifting till he gave his ok- even took 6 weeks off from work. About a mo. ago i started to notice a gap in L breast where the crease should be-over time its becoming painful and getting worse- now the right breast seems to be doing the same thing- what is this and what can i do about it?

Gap Between my Breast and Chest Wall

+1

The fold you are seeing along the lower curve of the breast is your original breast fold, now causing an indentation along the implant which has descended below that original fold. 

To correct this, the fold will have to be resutured down to the chest, a breast lift will be likely needed, and it may be best to move the implant to an above the muscle position. 

Do follow up with your surgeon. Thanks for you question and for the photos. Best wishes.

Double Bubble

+1

This looks like what we call a double bubble although a physical examination is necessary to really determine the problem. I correct this problem by placing the implants in a subfascial or subglandular position and resuturing the muscle back to its native spot. You may also need some sort of lift. You need to wait at least 9 months to one year after surgery prior to having any repairs.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Double bubble

+1

You have double bubble from "bottoming out" implants. You need capsulopexy (lifting implants back up with sutures) and a breast lift. Sorry but there is no other way to fix this. Good luck.

Andrew Stewart, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

What is This Gap Between my Breast and Chest Wall and What Do I Do to Fix It?

+1

To me based upon the posted photos you have the classic "double bubble" effect. Only some type of surgical intervention can correct this. Best to see you surgeon to discuss. 

Breast Lift and Augmentation

+1

Breast rejuvenation involves adding volume with a implant or fat grafting and improving shape and contour of the breast with lifting.  If a patient has no ptosis of the breast, then simply an implant may be all that she needs.  If the patient has ptosis (hanging of the breast) then likely the patient needs both an implant and a lift.  From the limited pictures which you have posted, it appears that you would likely need a mastopexy (lift) for complete rejuvenation of your breast.  Many surgeons, such as myself, perform the lift and the augmentation at the same time.  Others prefer to perform the procedure in two stages.  For a complete evaluation and recommendation, you would need to be seen in person for consultation.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Double Bubble deformity

+1

Double bubble deformity is more common with submuscular implants.

The implant falls below the natural breast crease where the muscle has been dissected or divided

I usually correct tis problem by placing the implant in a subfascial position

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Double Bubble!

+1

I am sorry about this, but you were not a candidate for a breast augmentation alone, and no one could have given you a result that would be acceptable: You would either have the implant too high above your breast and nipple (in its proper position), or too low causing the double bubble you have.

You will need two things done simultaneously to correct this.  One is what should have been done to begin with, a breast lift. The other is the repositioning of your implants back into a higher position, restoring your original inframammary fold.

Please see a few expert revision breast surgeons. Certification by the ABPS and membership with the ASAPS is an important requisite.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Double Bubble Deformity after Breast Augmentation

+1

Your breast tissue is drooping over your implant. This is called a "double bubble deformity."  I suspect you had some degree of breast droop prior to your surgery and you probably may have benefited from either a simultaneous lift or a subglandular implant.  When breast droop exists before augmentation, placing a submuscular implant like yours will almost always result in this problem. Unfortunately, it requires a revisional surgery. You should speak to your surgeon about this, but if you are uncomfortable with him/her, you should seek another opinion.

Matthew Schulman, MD

DOUBLE BUBBLE

+1

It looks like youa re develping a double bubble. This will require additonal surgery to reset the fold.  I have been using a thong bra during recovery which I really like.

Post Augmentation Double Bubble

+1

Looking at the pictures you have provided it appears as though your implant is sitting below your inframammary fold (the breast fold under your breast). This is what is termed a double bubble deformity. It is noted typically in a patient undergoing transaxillary subpectoral breast augmentation to correct ptosis (drooping) of the breasts with a tight inframammary fold. The other type of patient it is commonly seen in is large volume augmentation patient. So what you are seeing is your natural inframammary fold where it originally existed with a new fold beneath it being created by the implant.

In order to better know what needs to be done to help you (fixing the fold, a lift at the same time,etc.), one would need pre-operative pictures and an in-person exam. I would recommend you continue to closely follow up with your plastic surgeon as not only they have the advantage of the aforementioned, but also have an intimate knowledge of what was done surgically.

Thank you for the question and pictures. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD