Is it possible to have gallbladder surgery and tummy tuck together?

I'm supposed to schedule this but really need feedback.

+1

Yes, I have done this combination but as most of the expert posters state the risks increase with this combo. You need to discuss with both the GS and PS as a team approach. 

Tummy tuck with gallbladder surgery

+1

I do not recommend combining these 2 surgeries.  You are increasing your recovery time and risk. The gallbladder is usually taken out laparoscopically which means that your abdomen is distended with C02 gas.  It will be difficult for your plastic surgeon to take out the correct amount of skin since things will be so distorted.  You are also increasing your risk for infection, delayed recovery and blood clots in the legs that can travel to the lungs.  You are far better off cosmetically and from a safety perspective if you do not have both at the same time.

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to combine gall bladder surgery and tummy tucks?

+1

Tummy tucks can be combined with other surgeries but the risks of both procedures are increased.  In general, I prefer not to combine gall bladder surgery with a tummy tuck.  While this combination can be performed, it is important to consider the increased risks carefully.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

It is possible but the complication rate is higher

+1

My experience with combined procedures with intra abdominal surgeries like gallbladder or hysterectomy has not produced the best results. The risk of complications is higher.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Lap choke with tummy tuck

+1

It is best to wait for several reasons. First, the gallbladder removal is a clean contaminated case meaning that your risk of infection is 5% higher. Which isn't much unless it happens to you. Second, the abdomen is GREATLY distended with CO2 gas during the gall bladder procedure which makes the results of the tummy tuck less than optimal. Third, any increase in operative time increases your risk of DVT - ESPECIALLY with a tummy tuck. The only reason to do it together is financial.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Gallbladder surgery and tummy tuck

+1

Yes, it is possible. Combine plastic surgery with either general surgery and /or gynecological surgery is a common practice. The patient wants to go only once to the OR. If you have a very good health condition, and both of your surgeons agree on this, can be a good option.

Francisco Sauceda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Gall Bladder surgery at the same time as Tummy Tuck

+1
I often perform tummy tucks at the same time as a General Surgeon takes out the gallbladder. We arrange everything beforehand and this often saves the patient money, because a portion of the hospital and anesthesia costs are covered by their insurance. The other advantage is that there are no visible scars from the laparoscopic incisions since we lift up your abdominal skin prior to the General surgeon doing his incisions.

Mark Broudo, MD