Is Ultherpy a good option for tightening of the jowls, chin and neck? How long does it last?

Here is a link to the cost of Ultherapy in your area. 

Non-surgical Skin Tightening of the lower face

+1
Thermage is the ideal skin tightening laser for the lower face.  I have been using Thermage with the new CPT tip and have incredibly good results.  The younger patient who is not ready for a face lift much prefers Thermage to build collagen.  Thermage combined with Restylane injections can complete the facial rejuvenation process.  Please find a board certified Dermatologist with experience in cosmetic dermatology for the best results.

The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Facelift & Necklift Can Work Well For Jawline Jowls & Early Onset Looseness (Laxity) of The Neck

+1
The neck, like the face, hands, and chest, are vulnerable to assault from long-term ultraviolet exposure on the quality and quantity of our collagen and elastic fibers, the dictates of our genetics, gravitational effects, and changes in fat volume, as well as bone and muscle mass losses that come with chronological aging. A variety of surgical options exist for dealing with jaw and neck problems. These include ultrasound therapy that is supposed to heat and tighten the skin; full lifts; mini-lifts; minimal incision lifts; and S-Lifts. All of the latter surgeries are predicated on cutting away excess skin, shoring up the underlying tissue, and reinforcing the long, thin, sheet-like muscle layer, known as the platysma.

I have not been impressed with the results of ultrasound therapy, despite the marketing hype, for skin tightening, generally finding the results subtle at best, and the treatment to be painful.

True surgery to address these changes also has its problems. It is expensive, postoperatively painful, and demands protracted recuperative times away from work and social activities, and then there is the risk of permanent scars. Happily, The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Facelift and The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Necklift offer viable alternatives for straightening the jawline and diminishing unsightly turkey necks and cords.

The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Facelift and The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring are discussed in detail elsewhere in Realself, In brief, however, these nonsurgical approaches entail the strategic placement of "strands" or "strains" (i.e. threadlike deposits--not actual threads) of volumizing fillers (my favorite for this purpose being a combination of Radiesse, a calcium-based volumizer and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC, a hyaluronic based material) starting from the more "fixed' areas near the angles of the mandible down and outward across the jawline and extending inward radially toward the more mobile and lax central portion of the neck. The three dimensional result of creating these vectors (directions of force) in this fashion is to stretch the skin of the jawline and under the chin and smooth it.

Gratifying results are typically seen immediately, and there is continued improvement in appearance over the course of the next four to eight weeks as the presence of the volumizing fillers within the tissues stimulates new native collagen formation leading to subsequent additional skin retraction and lifting of the target areas. The procedure typically takes about fifteen minutes to perform using only local anesthesia and typically entails little in the way of discomfort, bruising or swelling, i.e. little or no downtime.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Ultrasound waves to make you look younger? Probably not money well spent.

+1
Ultherapy is an in-office treatment that uses ultrasound waves to reportedly stimulate collagen production in your skin, resulting in a meaningful rejuvenation over a 6 month time period. But the technology is not there yet. While it is billed as a non-surgical alternative for facelift, necklift, and even browlift, after performing test treatments and following these patients over 6 months I've seen no result. In short, I think there are more effective therapies for tightening and toning your skin to achieve meaningful rejuvenation, and in good faith I'd recommend you put your money on another type of treatment that has a proven track record- a resurfacing procedure, injectables, or even a facelift, necklift, or browlift, perhaps. But technology can be a good thing- perhaps future models of the Ultherapy device will produce meaningful and lasting rejuvenation. 

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for tightening

+1
I have used the Ultherapy device for over two years now and feel it is a good treatment option in the appropriate setting for tightening of the lower face.   The Ulthera will not give a facelift type of result but does usually show a noticeable lifting and tightening to the upper neck with firming of the jawline with no downtime.  If a surgical result is desired then I agree with the others that a surgical consult with a plastic surgeon would be warranted.  Good luck. 

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Can Ultherapy tighten the jowls, chin and neck?

+1
Thank you for your question.  The best studies have shown with proper power settings Ultherapy can tighten skin about 25% of what a face and neck lift can.  Only you can decide if 25% improvement will satisfy you.  I suggested she consult a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss her options and not simply start an extensive course of treatments based on promises from a medical spa or physician.  Insist on seeing before and after photographs of patients that the doctor has treated.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Ultherapy for Jowls etc

+1
I tried an Ultherapy unit to see how I liked it when thinking about purchasing one. My experience was that I had tremendous pain and little gain. I had no sedation and the unit was turned up to the point that I could tolerate. This was not enough for good results. I am told that the doctors that sedate their patients can turn this machine up and really get some results but I was not willing to get involved with sedation to do this procedure. Speak to some physicians that do this and ask what their experience is or to another patient that has had this done. this patient, me, did not like my results and would not be sedated for the procedure. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist