Is it better to get Restylane done by a cosmetic surgeon in a derm office or by a plastic surgeon?

I have some lines starting around my mouth and want to take of it before they get deeper? Better for cosmetic surgeon to do this in derm office or by plastic surgeon?

Facial injections around the mouth

+1
If you have some lines starting around the mouth I would recommend you consult with a board certified Dermatologist.  They can evaluate the quality of your skin and recommend the best combination to treat your skin - topicals, lasers, or injections.  What is most important is to find a physician who is board certified with a great deal of experience in cosmetic treatments for the best results.

Who should perform injectables?

+1
I do not believe the medical specialty matters when you are discussing skill with injectables. The most important thing you need to know is their experience with injectable products. There are "good" and "poor" injectors in every specialty. Talk to your friends, look at their results, research the doctors on line, then make an educated decision.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

The more filler they do the better they usually are

+1
Go to someone (dermatologist or plastic surgeon) who dedicates a lot of their time to doing these procedures.  If a plastic surgeon spends the majority of time doing surgery or a dermatologist spends most of their time treating acne and skin cancer, they won't be as experienced as someone who does filler injections many times a day.  An artistic eye and talent are also very important.  Some people are born with that and others aren't.  The doctors who are tend to be better filler injectors.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermatologist or plastic surgeon

+1
Both dermatologists and plastic surgeons are excellent choices for filler injections. Lines around the mouth may need lasers/energy based devices as an adjunct. In my area, dermatologists have access to more energy based devices, but that is not the rule in ever locale. In addition, if you want to see a physician, clarify who will be doing your injection. Some practices, whether dermatologists or plastic surgeons, may delegate this to a non-physician. While this can be very safe, if this is your first time receiving an injection, I suggest a physician.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Who should inject Restylane

+1
Both board certified plastic surgeons and dermatologists who are experienced in the use of facial fillers are suitable injectors.  The one advantage of being treated by a plastic surgeon is that, as you age, you will already have a relationship with someone you would trust to perform an eyelift or facelift at a later point in time.  When you use the expression "cosmetic surgeon", I honestly don't know what that means.  Anyone who has a medical license can, unfortunately, call him or herself a cosmetic surgeon even if their training is in pediatrics or OBGYN.  It makes for a scary environment for the patients!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Filler by plastic surgeon or dermatologist

+1
As long as both dermatologist or plastic surgeon are board certified and have experience with fillers, than either is fine.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Who should do my fillers

+1
The specialty of the physician doesn't really matter - it's their level of expertise with fillers. You should simply ask the office staff how many filler injections that person does in an average week or two, and you should then be able to determine who has more experience. There is rarely a day in my office when I don't do at least several Botox/Dysport and filler patients. If a plastic surgeon is more focused on breast or body aesthetics (some simply choose to focus on these areas), that person may not do as many filler injections. So, it's not the actual specialty of the injector, but the day-to-day injection expertise.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Restylane for lip lines

+1
I think that it is OK to go to either a dermatologist or plastic surgeon as long as they are experienced injectors. Good luck.

Training & Experience Not title for Injectors.

+1
Hi Shopper.  The training and experience is more important than the title.  In our practice, Lori Haney, RN does all of the injections and because she does it all day long, she is excellent at it.  

Try to get a referral to your provider from a local friend or relative and check online reviews.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Who should inject fillers

+1
The specialty of the doctor means very little.  It is the filler experience of the provider.  Some plastics or derms do a lot and some do very little.  If you are truly interested in the expertise of an injector, as he or she to see some before and after pictures of numerous cases (they usually already have that on their web pages).  Also see if the publish or lecture on fillers, teach for filler companies and if they have Youtube videos.  It is usually pretty easy to figure out the skill and credibility of a provider.  Specialty in an of itself means very little.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon