How Will Future Weight Loss Affect the Look of my BA/BL? I Am 140 Lbs, 4'11, Bra Size Small 34 C.

I plan to lose 20-25 lbs, to bring me to my normal weight of 115 lbs, I am small framed, and am affraid the size I chose now will look to big once I lose weight. My surgery is scheduled for 8/24/12, and I am still so undecided on the size!

Weight Loss After Surgery

+1

Your results really shouldn't change too much if you a loose a moderate amount of weight but if you do end up loosing a significant amount than it could alter your end results some. Keep in mind the breast lift always relaxes a little with time as well. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

If you get the right size for your build now, it will still look okay if you loose some weight later.  As a matter of fact, they will actually probably looks even better when your new breasts are mounted on your new slim body.  You may lose some of the volume of the breast in the weight loss, but they will probably still be nice.  Don't worry about it, it'll be great.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Weight Loss after Breast Augmentation with Lift

+1

It is possible that your result can have some change with a 20 pound weight loss.  It is important to consider how previous weight loss has affected your breasts.   If you have concern, please discuss them with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.   It may be best to lose the weight, then have surgery.   

However, if your weight is prone to fluctuation or you are unsure of the weight loss, then I think it is a good idea to proceed with your scheduled procedure.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Weight loss and breast surgery

+1

It is difficult to predict how weight loss will effect your breasts.  Some women lose volume in their breasts while others don't.  Since you have surgery scheduled, please talk to your plastic surgeon about your concerns.  Since he/she has formally examined you, they will be able to give you the best advice.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Future Weight Loss Affect Breast Aug?#breastimplants

+1

Losing large amounts of weight can make your breast tissue shrink. It would be a good idea to lose all the weight that you are planning on losing prior to surgery. Communication with your surgeon is key to the success of your surgery. The breast skin can stretch and your breast tissue may sag more. The final size of the implant could be affected by weight loss.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Size Changes after Weight Loss

+1

Communication with your plastic surgeon will be critical to help you achieve your goals with the breast augmentation procedure.You are correct that losing weight after your surgery may affect the final result.  It is in your best interest, if at all possible, to lose the weight prior to surgery.  When you lose weight, you may also lose breast tissue and so the size may change.  Sometimes, with weight loss, the breasts also become more ptotic (droopy).

Talk to your surgeon and see what he/she recommends.

Weight change can affect your breasts but depends on the amount of weight gain or loss

+1

General rule of thumb that I tell my patients is that a weight gain or loss of 5-10 pounds is generally well tolerated, meaning not much change occurs with regard to your breast augmentation and/or lift.  Even 15 pounds are ok in some cases.  But, generally 20-25 lbs swings can cause the breasts to sag or look different which may require further surgery.  Individual variations are also at play, of course.  But, if you lose 25 lbs, you will most likely have a noticeable change to how your breasts look.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Effect Of Weight Gain/Loss On Augmentation

+1

Some breasts reflect changes in body weight and others do not.  A significant weight loss in a woman whose breasts are affected by weight change would more likely result in a bit of increased sagging rather than your implants appearing too large.

John Whitt, MD

Weight loss and breast augmentation

+1

Some women can lose 4-5 pounds and all of it is in their breasts.  Others can lose 20-30 pounds and none of it is in their breasts.  You know how your breasts respond to weight gain/loss better than anyone.  With that in mind, you have a couple of options.  First, you can lose the weight before you have the breast augmentation so you will know EXACTLY what your breasts look like before you undertake your surgery.  The other option, if you don't want to wait until you lose the weight, would be to err on the bigger side with the idea that you will lose some volume in your breasts from your weight loss.  Even in my patients who don't plan to lose weight, I generally advise them to err on the bigger side.  Their first impression after surgery will be that they have gone too big.  After a couple of months, things settle and they are happy with their size. Six months later, they might be back in my office wanting to go larger.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

How Will Future Weight Loss Affect the Look of my BA/BL

+1

That is a pretty significant amount of weight loss you are contemplating. Two factors that I can think of off hand may affect your choice of implant size.

• You may lose some breast volume. How much is hard to predict. It depends on a number of factors, including how much fat vs. breast tissue is in your breast, and which fat cells will lose the most stored fat.This may affect your choice of implant size.  This change can also affect the amount of excess skin, and therefore the nature of the breast lift that you will have. 
  • At a smaller frame, you may choose a different implant size for overall balance. What looks good at 140 lb. may look too big at 115 lb. 

I would consider delaying your surgery until you are closer to your desired weight.

Thanks for the question, and best wishes.