Fusiform Mole Removal Doctor Referral?

Wanted to know if there are any dermatologist or surgeons in the Annapolis, Rockville, Maryland or Washington DC area that perform fusiform mole removal. I have a large mole below the right nostril and that has grown in the past 18 months. I'm afraid of melanoma, but also of having a ugly scar from the removal. I've read only that the fusiform is the best way to remove a large mole. Please any information of dermatologist or surgeons that perform fusiform in my area would be helpful. Thanks

Excision of Mole in Maryland

+1

Choosing the right doctor is always a difficult issue. I would start with your primary care physician and ask for their recommendation. The primary cares are a fantastic resource, and probably the best place to start for a doctor referral. If you find a doctor through another means, check their crendials - make sure they are board certified in their specialty, with the appropriate fellowship training in the technique needed.

When any growth is removed from the skin, the reconstructive surgery that follows can always feel a little daunting. It is important to meet with the surgeon you ultimately chose, discuss your concerns and expectations. The doctor should be able to give you a good idea of what type of outcome you should expect.

Having trained at Johns Hopkins, I can tell you you are in the right place! The Baltimore-DC area has some of the most talented dermatologists, dermatologic surgeons and plastic surgeons in the country.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Excision of Mole in Washington, DC, Area

+1

Best option is to talk to your dermatologist or primary care physician for the name of a doctor in your area that performs a great deal of reconstructions on the upper lip. This could be a plastic surgeon or a fellowship-trained Mohs surgeon or a facial plastics surgeon.

When you meet with the doctor discuss their training and how often they perform similar surgeries on the lip. No matter who does the surgery there will be a scar. Whenever you traumatize the skin there is a scar. What you want is the person with the training and experience in this particular type of surgery to give you the best chance for the best scar possible.

Perhaps look at some of the doctors' before and after photographs, but remember that the results of another patient are not a guarantee that your surgery will go the same way. The pictures will give you an idea of the doctors' attention to detail and surgical technique. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD