Further Cheek Augmentation over Cheek Implants?

Hi, I'm a 35yo female who had cheek augmentation with silicone implants 5 years ago. I am generally happy with their appearance but as I am ageing I am noticing them becoming flat again as the fat slowly disappears. Is it possible / safe to have temporary fillers or fat transfer over the cheek area with the implants already in place, or is it just best to have larger implants reinserted under surgery again.

Is it possible / safe to have temporary fillers over the current cheek implants?

+1

Yes, I have done this many times for patients that are in a similar situation to what you have described.  As we age, cheek bone volume as well as facial fat is lost over the cheeks making them less aesthetically ideal than they were years earlier.  There's nothing wrong, in fact I encourage patients to do this, in placing a temporary filler (I prefer Perlane) over the cheeks to further enhance their shape.  Like Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants, fillers to shape the cheek must be used by MD's that understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and cheek) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive cheek and face.

Cheek Augmentation Over Implants

+1

You have 3 alternatives which you should discuss with your surgeon. You can augment the cheeks with fillers or your own fat, which I would prefer. You can replace the implants. Finally a cheek lift may be appropriate. I need to see pictures before being any more specific.

Cheek implants and further aging.

+1

You have stated the options well. Fillers are temporary, fat is not accurate to predict volume and prevent lumpiness. The best choice is to replace your implants with slightly larger ones. 

Fillers to cheeks after cheek implants

+1

You have options in regards to adding more volume to your cheeks after having had implants placed five years ago.  The current implants could be removed and replaced with larger ones, or you could leave the current ones in and use fillers to augment the area further.  The implants are placed directly on the bone and the fillers would be placed into a different space, which would be in layers above the implant.  Therefore, there is no problem with having fillers with cheek implants in place.  You should be able to get more volume with either method, so it would just be up to you if you'd rather have surgery again or improve the area with fillers.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon