Functional Rhinoplasty Procedure to Alleviate Allergies?

My nose never really bothered me until about 2 years ago, when I started getting allergies and lately everytime I get a cold I get migranes and also the pressure of my allergies are causing me toothaches.

I visited a surgeon to discuss my problems and I'm seriously thinking about getting nose surgery but I would like to know what do I need to get done, and which are the best doctors in New Jersey? Thank you.

Functional Rhinoplasty to alleviate allergies

+2

Rhinoplasty will not cure allergies. A functional rhinoplasty may help your allergies but it will not cure them. A “functional” rhinoplasty usually means the inside of your nose has anatomical problems that reduce the amount of air passing through your nose and the rhinoplasty will correct the anatomical problems giving you more space to breathe.

Allergies cause increased swelling in the lining of the nose. The more the lining increases the less air space you will have but if you have a lot of air space the allergies will have to swell more than if you have little air space. Functional rhinoplasty will improve the air space but will not clear the allergies.

Rhinoplasty and Allergies

+2

Allergies will NOT be corrected by any surgery including a Rhinoplasty. In my opinion you would be best served to see a good allergist and determine if you have treatable allergies. Doing so would help you a lot more than having a rhinoplasty.

That being said, the lining of the nose and adjacent sinuses and certain parts of the nose swell and thicken in response to allergies. If such structures block the drainage of fluid or passage of air you begin to be more symptomatic. A deviated septum or large turbinates become much more troublesome when you have allergies than they would otherwise be.

As to WHAT needs to be done - simply put, rhinoplasty is an individualized a la carte set of procedures that must be customized to your anatomy. Without an examination it is hard to tell you what would really benefit you. See several surgeons and pick the one you feel the most comfortable with.

Rhinoplasty Surgery will not help your migraines, allergies, or toothaches.

+2

The vast majority (80%) of people that have "sinus pressure headaches" are suffering from a variant of migraine. Migraine headache commonly occurs in women, and are often associated with throbbing facial pressure in the sinus-area and teeth. Symptoms usually last less than 24 hours and may be associated with light-sensitivity, noise-sensitivity, and nausea.

Patients with migraine may become convinced they have a "sinus problem" since these migraine symptoms will often respond to OTC allergy-preparations that contain a pain reliever and a decongestant. Migraine may be associated with nasal pain, runny nose and mild congestion as well.

Patients with chronic sinusitis typically complain of congestion and discolored nasal mucous; pain is not typically the chief complaint.

Rhinoplasty Surgery may be performed to deproject and rotate your tip, and remove a profile hump. You could also have your airway improved if your nasal septum is deviated or if your turbinates are large. Rhinoplasty Surgery will not likely improve your facial pressure or toothaches.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Somnoplasty to Alleviate Nasal Allergy and Obstructive Breathing Problems

+2

Hi Viv,

We really can't answer your question without examining the inside of your nose and making a diagnosis as to what is causing your problems.

One non-surgical procedure that has been very effective for my patients with symptoms similar to yours is radio-frequency volumetric tissue reduction of the inferior nasal turbinates (Somnoplasty of the the inferior turbinates) in properly selected patients.

Somnoplasty is a quick and easy office treatment that is very effective at improving nasal air flow, nasal allergic symptoms, and in many patients sinus headaches. Since incorporating this treatment in my practice, I have found that the majority of patients that I would have performed functional nasal surgery upon in the past, do not need the surgery after Somnoplasty.

Studies have shown that 78% of nasal allergy patients who were not responding to their anti-histamine and nasal steroid spray allergy medications were improved after Somnoplasty.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty, even septoplasty will not cure allergies

+2

When it comes to nasal function. There is anatomy and physiology. Both can affect the way the nose works, cause blockage and a runny nose. If you have a persistent runny nose, facial pressure or toothaches after a cold you may have sinusitis. Sinusitis is first treated by antibiotics and nasal steroid sprays. If that doesn't work, surgery to open the sinuses and sometimes correct a deviated septum will improve the anatomy and allow better aeration and function of the sinuses and nose. However, surgery will not cure allergies. Allergies are how your nose reacts to environmental irritations. This needs allergy treatment.

As is often asked, if you are in need of functional nasal and/or sinus surgery and also want improvement in the way your nose looks, a rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time. Since these are both delicate operations I suggest you seek a specialist with experience in both rhinoplasty and sinus surgery.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal congestion and rhinoplasty

+2

In general, rhinoplasty adresses issues relasted to the anatomy of the nose. These anatomic concerns can be functional and affect breathing, cosmetic and only impact appearance, or a combination. Functional problems of the nose may be related to allergy, infection, polyps, deviated septum, large turbinates, it's a combination.

Chronic sinusitis may also have a role in the problems you have been experiencing. Your dorsal hump, however, usually has no impact on your functional issues. I would recommend that if you are inclined to improve the appearance of your nose while taking care of functional issues, you should seek a facial plastic surgeon trained in ENT to give you a detailed global evaluation of your nose. I hope this helps.

Behrooz Torkian, MD

Nasal breathing, allergies, migraines, toothaches and nose job (rhinoplasty)

+1

You need an examination to determine if your problems are cause by your anatomy or physiology or both. Because you show a side view, it implies you want your nasal bridge *hump" reduced. This will NOT treat your breathing, allergies, mnigraines or toothaches and could even make it WORSE. It may be better to treat your problems medically and not surgically.

See an ENT surgeon for what sounds like sinusitis.

+1

The doctor will examine your nose, get xrays and start you on decongestants, antihistamines, humidification, etc. This may take care of your problem without any surgery. One can always do surgery to open the sinus if this fails.

Rhinoplasty and Allergies

+1

Hi,

Cosmetic rhinoplasty will not fix your allergies. However, if you have a deviated septum or sinus issues that exacerbate your allergies then nasal surgery can help you with that.

Most likely your allergies will persist at some level even after surgery.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS