Low Belly Button After Tummy Tuck Infection

full tummy done and i think my bb was floated. well after i had the surgery i got an infection in which it resulted in skin being cut away. Now that it is closed my bb is really low. I was wondering how hard is it to put back with my corrective surgery to where it originated. It is so low that it sits above my vagina. I would put a picture but my surgeon is on this website and I don't want to single him out. Thank you!

Moving a belly button, or making a new one?

+2

I'm so sorry you had these issues after your tummy tuck.  The bottom line, no matter how it happened, is that your belly button is now too low on your abdomen.  You mention that it is almost at the level of your abdominoplasty incision, which is very low, in fact.  A belly button that low cannot be moved back up to its normal position.  But you can just have that belly button removed, then have a new one made in the proper position--it's called a neoumbilicoplasty.  Ask your surgeon if he/she can do this for you.  Best wishes! 

Dr. Kavali

Creating a NEW Belly Button is the answer

+2

Regarding: "Low Belly Button After Tummy Tuck Infection
full tummy done and i think my bb was floated
. well after i had the surgery i got an infection in which it resulted in skin being cut away. Now that it is closed my bb is really low. I was wondering how hard is it to put back with my corrective surgery to where it originated. It is so low that it sits above my vagina. I would put a picture but my surgeon is on this website and I don't want to single him out. Thank you
!"

I am sorry for your condition and admire your loyalty to your surgeon but posting a picture would not in itself embarrass anyone and would be very helpful in the quality of answers you may get from my colleagues because there would be little guessing.

First, I have never "floated" a belly button with a Full Tummy Tuck. Floating means the umbilicus is cut from its exit from the muscles and left attached to the skin. This means that its blood supply now comes only through the skin. This MAY be done with some MINI Tummy Tuck procedures where there is little skin removal NOT when there is a large amount of skin removal and the belly button left in its position wound end up being removed or repositioned in the Mons Pubis.

I would bet that to close the wound left after your infection, your surgeon THEN had to float the umbilicus just to allow the skin to move down and close the gap.

Once the swelling has subsided, I would remove the belly button from its low position and close the skin hole. A NEW belly button, NEOUMBILICOPLASTY, can be created in its rightful midline position at the same time.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Low Belly Button after Tummy Tuck

+1

It will be very difficult to  have your belly button repositioned to its original position if it has been floated.  Since pictures are not an option, I recommend seeking an opinion from your surgeon or getting a second opinion. There is not a cookbook solution to this issue.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

Umibilicus low, low, low after tummy tuck

+1

I want to clarify, belly buttons are generally not floated with a full tummy tuck. Rather this is done with a marriage abdominoplasty or a modified min abdominoplasty which I call the midi- tummy tuck. If you belly button was truly "floated" it will be nearly impossible to raise it without potentially compromising the blood supply. You could undergo a neoumbilicoplasty to create a new "pseudo" umbilicus but this would leave a vertical scar where the current umbilicus is located.