Fully Regret This Tummy Tuck. Will the Complications Ever End??

TT on 4.16. Drain tube for 8 days. Developed LARGE seroma and hematoma. Aspriated three times and would not resolve. Back into sugery 5.9 to excise hematoma and drain seroma and insert Davol drain. Today, I tried to gently peel back the surgical tape from bandaging that is still tightly affixed. The tape I tried to remove was at the very edge of my incision. Immediately upon exposing approx. an inch of my incision, yellow fluid started SHOOTING out. When will this END?? Should I go to a diff PS?

Seromas Don't Go On Forever

+3

I am sorry you are going through these post operative complications.  Both hematomas and seromas are known problems that may occur with any tummy tuck done by any plastic surgeon no matter his or her skill level.  Seromas leaking through the suture line are not necessarily a bad thing.  At this point, with open access from your suture line to a seroma, your plastic surgeon can now pack the wound with Iodoform gauze.  This will allow the fluid to drain out, and since there is a constant drainage through the open wound, the bursa producing the fluid can now scar shut more easily.  This opening in your suture line normally heals with minimal to no scarring.  

Sometimes, what looks like a serious problem may, in fact, be a blessing in disguise.  I would stick with your plastic surgeon and give him or her a chance to cure the problem.  Good plastic surgeons stick with their patients until all complications are resolved.  Great plastic surgeons will not let complications interfere with you attaining the best possible result your genetics will allow. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Complications

+2

I would trust your current surgeon to continue your care, as he or she is the most familiar with your particular case. However, there is absolutely no downside to getting a second opinion, especially if it will make you feel more comfortable during your recovery.

Unfortunately, seromas are a normal risk factor of tummy tuck procedures--it is a major surgical operation.  Your drainage issues should resolve within the next few weeks.  

Good luck with your recovery, and I hope this helps.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Seroma after a tummy tuck

+1

Hello jazzyfaye,

Thank you for the question and sorry to hear about your experience.  If the hematoma has been removed any residual seroma can be managed with the drain and the abdominal binder.  As long as you have a drain and you wear an abdominal binder consistently the seroma will go away.  I would stay with your current plastic surgeon unless you feel that you are not being looked after properly as he/she will be in the best position to help you through this process.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck complcations

+1

Stick with your PS. The things you have mentioned and the method in which they have been treated are acceptable. On the flip side a second opinion wont hurt if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tummy Tuck Regrets

+1

While it is reasonable to request a second opinion, there is no basis to believe that your original surgeon has acted in a manner that is inconsistent with your best interests. Your drainage issues should resolve in a couple of weeks to few weeks.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS