Can Fullness Be Replaced at the Nasal Base After the Doctor Removed Bone?

I had septo/rhinoplasty 5 years ago.The doctor told me,after surgery,that he had to remove: bone spurs from the base of my nose and remove the anterior nasal spine.As a result my upper lip is not pushed forward the way it used to be.It dropped at least 4 mm and covers my upper teeth when I talk. In the repose position my lips are tightly together and I cannot breathe out of my mouth unless my jaw is lowered significantly.Is there any way my upper lip can be returned to its original position?

Lip aesthetics

+1

Without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to say what should be done to resolve the issue. It is also hard to tell from your description if this is just part of your personal aging process, your aging process combined with the surgery or just the surgery. There are a number of possible procedures that apply to reducing the elongated upper lip ranging from direct excision of upper lip tissue to placement of paranasal implants to subperiosteal facelifts. Each procedure is associated with its own pros and cons and all do not apply in every given situation.

The most important thing you could do now is get copies of the records from the previous surgeon including photos if possible. Bring those records with you if you see a surgeon in consultation for you current issues. That will make the surgeon's job much easier and go along way toward giving you a better end result.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Upper lip retraction after rhinoplasty.

+1

Upper lip retraction after rhinoplasty may be reparable with grafting cartilage or soft tissue to that area to replace what was removed.

Bone removed in rhinoplasty

+1

Without seeing you, it is difficult to advise. Plumping grafts at the base of the nose might help. But you may need a lip shortening procedure.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD