Am I a good candidate for Botox for jaw muscles? (photos)

Hello, I'm not sure how to explain this, but I feel like the lower part of my face is too wide. If you look at my picture, the cheekbones stick out and then there is another "bulge" below that on the lower part of my face. Can botox injections help to get rid of that bulge and create a smooth line from my cheeks down to the chin? Thank you!!!

Yes, you are a good candidate for Botox to the masseter muscle.

+1
Thank you for your question,

Yes, you are a good candidate for Botox to the masseter muscle. Seek an appointment with an expert injector.

Jaw muscle, massetter muscle reduction with botox, prominent jaw correction

+1
Hello Ann,
Thanks for your question.
In our practice, we have used this with great success for many patients.
If the Massetter muscle is over active, it can cause less refined jaw angle which can significantly improve with injection of Botox (xeomin). 
If done artistically, it can have dramatic improvement.
Depending on the anatomy we have combined this with other ancillary procedures such as buccal fat reduction, chin lipo, chin implant or chin augmentation with dramatic, beautiful and natural looking results.
Best wishes

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Botox

+1
Yes, this could potentially be helped with Botox for your masseters.  See a board certified physician in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Botox in Masseter Muscle

+1
In my office I am often asked to inject a square or wide face to make it slimmer. When our muscles are being used they contract and keep the muscle active and thick. When a muscle is not used it becomes weaker and thinner. When Botox is injected into the Masseter muscle it inhibits some of the contraction of the muscle slimming the area over time.

The effects of Botox last about 3-4 months. Cost of procedure varies depending on the cost per unit and how many units are used. Typically I use 30-40 units for this area.

It is important to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist with plenty of experience injecting this area to receive an appropriate treatment.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

PROMINENT JAW

+1
Botox is a good way of reducing the size of the masseters.  This will make the lower part of the face near the jaws appear smaller.  We do a lot of Botox for this but also perform surgical reduction of the mandible and masseter to narrow the jaw permanently.  Seek out a board-certified Facial Plastic surgeon for best results.  Best wishes!

David Alessi, MD

Jaw Shaping, Masseter Muscle Reduction with Botox

+1
Hi Ann.  Thanks for your questions.  Yes, you are a good candidate for the procedure and we do see the second and lower bump in the jawline area in the picture you posted.  Botox (Dysport) works to decrease this bump by relaxing the muscle.  When the jaw muscle is partially relaxed it gets smaller because of the lack of use and the jawline gets less angular.

For pictures of other Asian patients in Orange County, CA that have had the jaw slimming procedure with Dysport, click the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox for large masseter muscle (square jaw)

+1
Botox can be injected into the masseter muscle if that is particularly large. This is more common in people who grind their teeth at night and have a strong tendency to clench their teeth a lot, have jaw ache, facial pain, possibly sleep disorder and even teeth and gum problems. This has a medical name for it called bruxism. You would require an assessment to see if that is what is causing your wider lower face.  I would not otherwise have Botox into the masseter muscle if it has normal size and action, as all injections carry risks.

Jane Olver, MBBS, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox For Lower Face

+1
I do these neuromodulation treatments frequently most often on asian women or those who have undergone face lifts.  It is a very gratifying procedure and takes only a few minutes.  You should come in for a formal evaluation.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Am I a good candidate for Botox for jaw muscles?

+1
  I have several patients in whom that works well.  An exam is always helpful in determining the relative benefit of Botox.