Safe to Have Full Tummy Tuck and Medial Thigh Lift at Same Time?

I am scheduled for a full tummy tuck as well as a medial thigh lift @ the same time. I had read this could be risky. My Dr. is board certified and has been performing plastic surgery for over 20 years. I trust him, but now I feel a little scared after reading this could cause some healing/circulation issues? what do you recomend?

Tummy Tuck and Medial Thigh Lift

+2

There are a few issues that should be considered here. First, you're right in that there can be blood supply issues when performed together. Most plastic surgeons I've talked to about this agree that if the medial thigh lift is to be performed with an axial incision (running vertically down the leg) then it's too risky to do this with a tummy tuck. However, if just a groin incision is to be used than the risk is minimal.

The second issue is that the tummy tuck will give a lot of lift to the medial thighs. I often wait to do the medial thigh lift because once the tummy tuck has healed the thigh lift will require less removal of skin.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Thigh Lift & Tummy Tuck Can Be Performed At The Same Time

+1

The combination of thigh lift and abdominoplasty can be performed in a single setting.  When these operations are performed together, safety has to be the first priority.  For this reason, we believe it’s important to minimize the length of these operative procedures.  An experienced surgeon, first assistant and surgical team that focus on efficiency can minimize the length of the procedure and reduce the potential for complications. 

The advantages of this approach are obvious and include improved synergy and harmony which improves the overall aesthetic result.  Patients experience one recovery rather than multiple recoveries and they potentially save money when the procedures are done in combination.

Combination surgery isn’t for everyone.  Patients may have co-existing health problems which prevent this approach. If you’re considering this approach, it’s important that you discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate surgical plan.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Thigh lift and tummy tuck

+1

It is fairly common to perform a medial thigh lift and tummy tuck in the same setting. Most can do the surgery in under 4-5 hours.

Medial Thigh Lift and Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

The combination of procedures you are considering is possible. Whether it is in your best interests to proceed in this fashion may be another question, and would depend on your medical history and condition, your anatomy, the details of the surgical plan, the capabilities of the facility, and the details of your planned postoperative care.

Only your surgeon and your primary care doctor could give you the personalized and accurate perspective you need to make the decision best for you.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty and medial thigh lift

+1

The combination of abdominoplasty and medial thigh lift is safe, provided you are a good candidate, healthy with no risk factors. Ofcourse there is an increase in operative time. If you are comfotable with your surgeon and he is comfortable then discuss your concerns with him/her.

Full tummy tuck and medial thigh lift at same time

+1

It is possible but you need to be aware of the higher risks in a longer operation of over 4 hours. Pulmonary emboli come to mind. Be safe and discuss in detail with the operating surgeon.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Tummy tuck and thigh lift done with anti coagulation.

+1

Hi.

In NYC, we would do tummy tuck and thigh lift together only if you are thin and healthy, and we use low molecular weight heparin (Lovenox) to prevent blood clots.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Abdominoplasty and thigh lift

+1

This combination can certainly be done simultaneously but each case will have different local and systemic considerations and risks. You will need to discuss the ramifications and risks with your doctor and come to some agreement on the level of risk. As far as the anatomical considerations, there are situations when an abdominoplasty and its incision will work contrary to a medial thigh lift and its incision, either causing an intersection of the incisions or causing excessive tension on skin. Your surgeon can determine how important this is. The other major consideration is post-op ambulation since both procedures together increase the risk of DVT and pulmonary embolism. Early ambulation is crucial and whether this will be hindered by your physique and the combined surgeries should be discussed as well.

In the appropriate patient and with the appropriately designed procedures, they can be safely combined.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Risk of Combining Body Contouring Operations

+1

When approaching body contouring operations several considerations must be reviewed.

First, Patient Safety. The longer the time under anesthesia, the higher the risk of complications which include wound infection and blood clot formation with possible embolization to the lungs. Special precautions need to be taken to lower this risk but it cannot be eliminated.

Secondly, Patient Comfort and Recovery. While others subscribe to the Marine / Ranger/ Navy Seal of taking "your lumps" in one operation, this results in several areas which are sore making getting out of a chair/bed and walking as well as travel ling in a car much harder.

I explain this to my patients and have them decide what may be the best course rather than imposing my preferences on them.

While large operations MAY be combined, in my opinion, it may be better for both patient and surgeon to break them up in easier to recover from stages. This also allows the surgeon to touch up and improve upon the previous operation, if needed.

As the patient, you should ultimately be in charge of what operation you have and when. Do not be afraid to speak your mind. A good Plastic surgeon likes to PARTNER with NOT to DICTATE to his/her patients.

Dr. P. Aldea