Full TT, Should I Tighten My Muscle and Get Lipo? (photo)

I had my consultation last week. I decided to go w/ the full TT instead of the mini TT. I still want children in the future and I wanted a short recovery b/c I have to return to school in a week. he mentions a full TT with out tightening the muscles & "some" lipo. Do you think I need to tighten up my muscles? Do you think i need the lipo? my main concern is to remove all/most stretch marks&tattoo and I would love a new belly button! I just want to look great in a swim suit!

Full TT, Should I Tighten My Muscle and Get Lipo?

+3

If you are planning to have children in the future, I am not sure it is such a good idea to have a tummy tuck now. Future pregnancies may restretch you and you may be having another tummy tuck in the future. If you insist on having one now while still planning to have more children, then a skin only tummy tuck without the muscle tightening makes sense. Again, just plan on the fact that you may need another one later. Also, I do not think you have enough skin laxity tol allow all of your stretch marks to be removed.  Please be sure that your expectations are realistic.

+2

This is a damn if you do and damn if you don't question. The standard is to wait until finished having all your pregnancies before having cosmetic abdominal surgery. You are not fully understanding this concept. Why waste the $'s and healing time if another pregnancy will just stretch out the result? You are the only one who can answer that. Thusly, if I was the surgeon I would be out. Too many issues for me to operate. 

Confusion regarding TT terms

+2

Hi

Let me first say that by definition, a tummy tuck must involve tightening of the abdominal wall muscles.  No tightening of muscles, no tummy tuck.

Tummy tucks in general are large operations, painful relations, and require at least 6 weeks of recovery including no lifting.  Returning to school in a week, carrying heavy books, driving, concentrating, managing drains, etc., to me, doesn't sound realistic.

I think you really need to get a better understanding of exactly what operation your doctor is going to perform, what the expected outcome is, and what the real recovery will be so that you don't have some nasty surprises.

I agree with others, wait until done with children to have tt.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

+1

If a full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) was recommended by your plastic surgeon, then I would certainly go that route, as your best results would be accomplished via this method.  One week recovery is pushing it though.  I tell my patients after full abdominoplasty that they will need two weeks recovery from this surgery, depending on the type of work they do.  I generally perform liposuction (when needed) in conjunction with abdominoplasty, as well as tightening of the muscle.  You may want to wait until you have more down-time before proceeding with anything, so you will obtain the best results. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

In young, healthy females who want children in the future, the question of whether to do a tummy tuck comes down to how much the tummy bothers the individual and when the pregnancies are to be planned.  If you need muscle tightening, you should have that done as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Muscle Tightening with Tummy Tuck

+1

I would not compromise my results just to save a day or two on recovery.  If you have a separation of your rectus muscles which your surgeon will detect on exam or in the operating room, you should have it repaired to get the best result.  I personally perform liposuction to the front side of the love handles in all of my tummy tucks to help blend the transition from the tummy tuck to the non-operated on back.  While you don't have a lot of fat in the love handles, a small amount of lipo there MAY improve things depending upon how you look in the OR. Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

If you plan to have more children, don't have the muscles tightened. As far as removing the tattoo, that part is straightforward in your case. I think you will get a really nice result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

If you have a diastasis recti then you need it repaired. Otherwise you will have persistent upper and lower abdominal bulging

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

+1

Obviously a full exam would be more helpful in answering this question.  In order to assess whether a plication of the muscles is needed, an examination of your abdominal integrity is necessary.  If when you perform a sit up you can feel a separation of your muscles along the midline, you likely have a diastasis that should be repaired.  Most patients in my practice who have more than 1 child require a muscle tightening procedure.  Good luck!

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Future Pregnancy

+1

I recommend either no surgery or a mini tummy tuck with liposuction.  It is not advised to do a full abdominoplasty if you want more children.  The muscles are routinely tightened with a full tummy tuck.  If you do that now, your tummy will be much much worse after your next pregnancy.

Martin O'Toole, MD