Will a Full Tummy Tuck Ruin Upper Abs Definition in a Male?

I am getting a tummy tuck the Dr. said that given that my sagginess is below the belly button and since I have well defined abs above the belly button (10% bf) if I get total (full) tummy tuck since they detach the skin from the underlying muscle the definition in my upper abs will b gone 4 ever. True or not? He said I am better off with a mini and no suturing of the muscles because they r defined and I don't have any Rectus Abdominus Diastasis. I am 33 y/o male. Thank u in advanced 4 ur response.

A Well Planned and Executed Abdominoplasty will only IMPROVE the appearance of the abdomen

+2

Hi there-

Considering the degree of excess skin you have, as well as the fact that the QUALITY of the skin is poor, I predict you will be very dissatisfied with any procedure that involves a limited dissection. 

ESPECIALLY in patients like yourself, it is very important to completely redistribute the skin over the entire abdomen in order to achieve a pleasing and uniform appearance.

Your concern that the upper abdominal definition would be lost is extremely unlikely, and in fact I believe the upper abdomen would only improve further.

Not a full tummy

+2

Looking at your picture it does not appear you have any problem in your upper abdomen area, all the loose skin is located in the lower abdomen. It is my opinion that you only need excision of this extra skin, without having to do anything to your belly button or the area above the belly button.

However, If you have laxity of the skin in the upper abdomen on physical examination, then a full abdominoplasty will be required and you should not be concerned about your upper muscles definition, during surgery only a limited disection will be needed and your muscle definition will not change.

good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Male tummy tuck

+2

By the photo I tend to agree with you surgeon. If the skin above the belly button is loose then you would benefit with a full tummy tuck. I would not recommend doing a plication of the muscle wall or you would loose the nice muscle definition. You can lift the skin and it will heal back down and continue to show the same muscle definition.

Best Wishes

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal muscle definition is visible in a thin patient even after tummy tuck.

+2

You are right, your abdominal muscle definition is great. Good work. A full tummy tuck can improve loose skin above the belly button while a mini only tightens below the belly button. As thin as you are, the upper abdominal skin will stick again to the definition of your rectus muscle, even if it is lifted for a full tummy tuck. It may take several months for the swelling to go down enough for the muscle definition to be visible again, but in my opinion, it will eventually be so. Based pn your photo alone, I cannot tell the condition of your upper abdominal skin, but it is obvious that you have alot of loose skin below. I would be surprised if all of that loose skin could be removed with a mini tummy tuck without distorting your belly button appearance. Ultimately, the decision should be made by you with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience treating this problem.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Changing the upper abdomen with a tummy tuck

+2

I am not quite sure why you would even do a tummy tuck with your problem. It appears to me you have excess skin in the lower abdomen that could easily be taken care of with a low incision not even extending from hip to hip... I would not even go above the umbilicus with my dissection. Although a picture is not the same as examining you, based on whet I see you need alot less than what you are suggesting. I would suggest a skin only procedure with minimal dissection. Discuss this option with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck in Males

+2

From your pictures, you look like a great candidate for tummy tuck. I would recommend a full abdominoplasty to get the best result. It is not true that you will loose the definition in your abdomen. Quite to the contrary, you will have great definition once all the swelling resolves after surgery. You do not look like you need rectus fascia plication since you do not have an apparent rectus diastasis. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

A mini may be sufficient

+1
From your photo alone, a mini may help you since it appears you have loose skin only below your belly button and don't need muscle plication. However, please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to confirm which treatment would be most suitable for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Male tummy tuck

+1
I would recommend a lower tummy tuck where we remove a large amount of excess skin, but do not reposition the belly button or tighten the muscles.  It will solve your problem and have a shorter recovery.

David Stoker, MD

Tummy tucks can take on different forms

+1

Hello - A tummy tuck can tighten loose muscles, but if you don't have any looseness you can skip this part. A side view of your abdomen helps to determine this as well as a physical examination while you're lying on an examining table. Skin below the belly button is removed with a modified tummy tuck and the scar is a lot smaller than a standard tummy tuck.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck in men

+1

I recommend an extended mini tummy tuck ONLY so I would not be touching the muscular skin attachment to the upper muscles.

From MIAMI Dr. B