Full Tummy Tuck 9 Mos Post Op ... Can I Deepen my Belly Button? (photo)

I had a full tummy tuck 9 months ago. My belly button is very shallow and appears to be more of an outie than an "innie". Can I deepen it at this juncture? I have been working a few days with a marble or ear plug taped to it but it keeps returning to its original state. It doesn't stay "deep". My PS said he didn't have enough deep tissue to work with. Should I be content and accept this as my final result?

Deepen Belly Button after Tummy Tuck?

+3

Thank you for the question and picture.

It may be that you do not have the anatomy conducive to having a “deeper belly button”. For example, if your umbilical stalk is short or you have very little tissue between the skin and your abdominal wall muscle you may be limited to  what can be accomplished with the appearance of your belly button.

If these anatomic “constraints” to not exist, then it may be possible to improve the appearance of the umbilicus using sutures that tack the bellybutton down to the abdominal wall fascia.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you.

Belly Button Deepening After Tummy Tuck

+2

The short or everted belly button can be deepened by one of two techniques. The stalk can be freed up and sutured down to the abdominal fascia if there is enough tissue to manipulate. This usually works to make it somewhat deeper. The other alternative is to use a small skin graft in the depth of the belly button if the stalk is short. Either approach uses a small bolster or plug in the belly button as it heals.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD