Full Tummy Tuck or Mini?

I am a 25 year old mother of one who before having my daughter was quite confident and happy with my body. During pregnancy I noticed stretch marks, which I feared getting during my pregnancy because it is hereditary in my family. I want to regain my confidence and be happy with my body.

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+2

Faye,

Actually, based on your photo, I do not see any excess skin to warrant any tummy tuck. If you have skin laxity, a mini tuck should help. A lateral photo may be able to give me more information. You have lots of stretch marks. Nothing have has been shown to eliminate these stretch marks. Don't believe the hype. However, you may benefit from some liposuction, if you have excess fat. The best way to know is to visit with a board certified Plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Dr Okoro.

A tummy tuck may or may not improvement stretch marks.

+2

Thank you for your question. The stretch marks which you see are a result of the rapid expansion of your skin during pregnancy. This expansion cause actual scarring within the skin. Because the skin is translucent, you see these as stretch marks. Despite the claims from creams, lasers, and other "non-surgical" therapies, the only sure way to remove stretch marks is to cut them out.

In a tummy tuck, a portion of the skin up to and often beyond the belly-button is removed. If the stretch marks are limited to the skin removed, then you will have eliminated the stretch marks. The choice between a "mini" tummy tuck and a full tummy tuck depends upon the amount of skin available and the ability to safely remove it. Given your photo, it appears as though a "mini" tummy tuck is your best option although it may not remove all of the stretch marks.

Please note that if you are planning on having any more children, I recommend postponing any abdominal cosmetic procedure until you are done having kids.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck or Mini

+2

Thanks for posting a photo. My choice is an extended mini TT with upper abdominal Smart Lipo. Hope that helps from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

Dear Faye:

If you cover you abdomen from the belly button down and like what you still can see, you will probably do okay with a mini tummy tuck. A mini tummy tuck can fix most problems below the belly button. For problems that extend above the belly button, a full tummy tuck is going to do a much better job.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

It is hard to give you good advice based on the frontal view picture only.  If there is significant redundant skin/adipose tissue  when you are flexed at the waist (diving position)  is likely that you will have a much better results with a full tummy tuck operation.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini tummy tuck vs Full tummy tuck.

+1

It is impossible to give recommendations without a formal physical assessment/exam of your belly. Having said that, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck especially to correct any post-pregnancy changes. After most pregnancies, l'd likely recommend a full abdominplasty with liposuction of the waist. A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:

Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise; Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure or a mini-tummy tuck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck results

+1

You appear to have minimal skin laxity but a substantial amount of damaged skin (stretch marks or striae). You may have some degree of muscle laxity as well. A tummy tuck will not eliminate all of your stretch marks. Your lack of significant skin laxity indicates that you'll like need a short vertical scar as I doubt I would be able to transpose your umbilical hole all the way down to your pelvic scar. In summary- a mini tummy tuck is not the right operation for you. A full tummy tuck might be if you seek partial improvement on abdominal stretch marks and dramatic improvement in abdominal wall laxity. Seek out an experienced plastic surgery for a consultation.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

When to get a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our Miami practice, we feel that as all patients are unique, so is every tummy tuck. During the initial consultation, we spent a great deal of time talking to the patients to understand what their concerns are, to learn their aesthetic goals, so that in this way we can create a surgical plan that will help the patient meet their aesthetic ideal. If a woman has extra skin and extra fat but the muscles are in good condition, we may be able to perform a mini tummy tuck. If the woman also needs a muscle repair, a full or a regular tummy tuck may be necessary.
Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon that has a great deal of experience in tummy tucks, liposuction, body contouring surgery. Such a specialist will be able to understand your goals and combined this with a thorough physical evaluation to present and operative plan that will help you meet your aesthetic ideal.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Full versus mini tummy tuck

+1

In this view it is difficult, If you have significant skin laxity above belly button when bending at the waist, a full tummy tuck is probably preferred over a mini tummy tuck. See video in attached link for more information on the dirfference bewtween the two

Full tummy tuck or a mini depends on the amount of excess skin

+1

From your photo, it appears as though you may benefit from a mini tummy tuck.  However, the big question is what to do with your belly button.  It can either be "floated" and pulled down a little bit or kept where it is and you'll end up with a small vertical scar where your belly button used to be located.  This is pretty difficult to explain in text and easier to show you in person.  Also, you may want to consider a bit of liposuction of your hips to get your ideal shape back.  Just make sure you're done having children before you get a tummy tuck because getting pregnant again will negate any aesthetic benefits that you've achieved with the tummy tuck.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD