Do I Need a Full Tummy Tuck with Lipo, and How Much Will It Cost in S.a. Texas?

I had my son back in 6 yrs ago but my pregnancy ruined my body and left me with this belly and hasn't gone down since. When I touch it, its hard and if I lay on it, it hurts and I have diastasis recti and weak abdominal muscles, my doctor lied to me and said by having a umbilical hernia surgery it was going to fix problem but I knew deep inside its a tummy tuck that I need.

Loose as much weight before your surgery

My recommendation would be for you to loose as much weight before your surgery.  Best is to change your eating and exercise habits.  A lot of the weight is internal and does not go down with the tummy tuck.  The healing will also be better.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

TT and Hernia Repair Costs Vary

Candidacy and Price for Tummy Tuck
Yes, a tummy tuck plus liposuction would give you the best results. The price is dependent on many factors - is it a mini, full or extended abdominoplasty such as a fleur de lis pattern where redundant skin is removed from the center as well as the bottom of the abdomen? Is it skin only or does it include tightening of the muscles? Will Liposuction also be necessary (it is recommended)? How extensive is the hernia? Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay or in an independent out-patient facility? Will a surgical assistant be needed? Will a board-certified anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist be used? Will an (anti) pain pump be used?
All of these factors influence the cost. In San Antonio it is probably different, but for reference, in Orange County the estimated range is $7000- $15,000+ depending on the variables above.
#tummytuckcost

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Yes, I think a full tummy tuck with lipo would be a nice result.

Thank you for your post.
In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above. This also depends on if a circumferential, tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, and skin only tummy tuck is performed. These are usually less expensive in decreasing order.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
5. Revision. Usually a revision such as dog ears or lowering the scar, or a seroma, is much less that the original surgery, but this depends entirely on what exactly is being done.
6. Add on surgeries are usually discounted, as in a mommy makeover.
7. Insurance. If an insurance based surgery, such as a hernia repair is done at the same time, the tummy tuck may be discounted.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lose weight before considering a tummy tuck

Thank you for the photo. Based on the info you provided you may need to lose some weight first. Achieve a stable healthier weight to reduce the visceral fat you have. After that then you may want to consider a tummy tuck to address any stubborn subcutaneous fat, weakened muscles and loose skin. Best of luck. 

Tummy Tuck or Lipo

Without and an exam it would be difficult to say for sure but by your own description it sounds like you have mostly intra-abdominal fat. This is fat that is inside the abdomen and is not affected by either liposuction or a tummy tuck. If this is  indeed the case your only good options would be to lose weight. After you lose weight and the abdomen feels softer you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.

Mark A. Jabor, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss BEFORE tummy tuck

In my opinion, you would be best served by losing weight first then having the tummy tuck done.  The fact that you feel "hard" indicates a lot of fat inside the abdomen around the intestines causing outward pressure which will still be there after the TT and will make it impossible to get the tight flat abdomen you want.  First things first, please lose weight before surgery.