Full Tummy Tuck Without Liposuction

Im scheduled to have a full tummy tuck and muscle repair as i have severe diasisis recti and an umbilical hernia after having twins 9 months ago. Im 5'2 and i weigh 90lb. I asked my doctor about lipo and he said i didnt need it. But just because im technically underweight (bmi 16.4) does that automatically mean i dont need lipo or can underweight people benefit from it too? Or should i aggressively demand this as part of my procedure? Please advise.

Liposuction is Sometime helpful with a tummy tuck

+2

I aways perform liposuction with my tummy tuck procedure, but mostly performed in the flank region.  I some time use liposuction on the abdomen for blending.  It depends on what the surgeion techniques are and how you look.   I would not demand but describe your expectations. 

Liposuction with a tummy tuck

+2

At your weight I am positive you don't need liposuction.  I only add liposuction to about 10% of my tummy tucks and this is only if they have flank fat (muffin top).  You can see from my pictures that I can sculpt the upper abdomen without liposuction. 

Please also respect your doctor and the opinion they have given you and don't "aggressively demand" anything.  The proper doctor patient relationship in plastic surgery is a partnership and that approach is not appropriate.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction not required with Tummy Tuck in thin person.

+1

Thank you for submitting your question. It is always best to follow the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon or if you are not comfortable with that doctors advice seek consultation with another plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

And 90 pounds any attempt at liposuction during Tummy Tuck would likely cause contour deformities, wavy lines and depressions in your skin since from your description of your body type it is very unlikely that you have significant fat to remove with liposuction.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Liposuction and Abdominoplasty

+1

Someone with such a low BMI likely does not need liposuction.  However, everyone is different and I routinely use a little liposuction to feather the edges and more finely tune the body shape that the patient and I want in over 90% of cases..

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Trust your surgeon

+1

I agree with the others, as you are 90 lbs, it is not likely that you would need liposuction.  You are going for a natural look after the surgery, which means smooth contours.  Although your surgeon could perform Liposuction, it is likely that if he did you would have a more unnatural appearance after the operation. If you show pictures it would be helpful, but i doubt I would change my opinion unless you have an unusual fatty deposit at your flanks.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Trust the doc

+1

Trust your PS opinion. On thin patients I frequently will not perform any liposuction. The final cosmetic result depends on a combination of factors of which liposuction is only one.

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Demanding liposuction with abdominoplasty

+1

One of the most important things to do when having any type of plastic surgery is to trust your physician.  You need to go in with complete confidence that he or she knows exactly what to do and has your very best interest in mind.  The question about whether you "need" liposuction really depends on your decision in consultation with your physician. 

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck without liposuction

+1

I oftenly perform liposuction of waist and flanks at the time of tummy tuck.  However, most of my patients do not weigh 90 lbs.  Although it is difficult to give you my opinion without photos, given your height and weight, you are very slim and probably do not have much excess fat on the waist.  You should trust your platic surgeon's recommandation. 

Sugene Kim, MD

Your doctor is right

+1

Based on the information you provided, you do not need liposuction. That may a good thing for you as it will reduce the post operative pain, swelling and bruising. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Tummy Tuck With/Without Liposuction

+1

It is difficult to impossible to answer your question without at least a photo or preferably an exam.  However, I am inclined to agree with your plastic surgeon that you most likely do not need lipo with your tummy tuck.  Not every patient who undergoes a tummy tuck needs liposuction, especially not those weighing 90 pounds.

John Whitt, MD