Do I Still Need a Full Tummy Tuck for Excess Skin if my Muscle Are Not Stretched?

My problem is adipo I would like to have sucked out and loose skin in the lower stomach area. My adomonial wall is quite structual. I went to a MD and he recommended the avelar procedure. From my understanding this is just a mini tummy tuck right? Would the avelar procedure be enough to correct lower stomach excess skin? Also I do have stretch marks which suggests dermal damage so I fear irregularites. So would a full tummy tuck be better if irregularites was a concern? Thanks

Avelar Tummy Tuck may be excellent option

+2

I have found, in some patients, that using the Avelar technique for a mini abdominoplasty (which involves thorough liposuction combined with skin removal only)  that the results can be excellent without the downtime of a full tummy-tuck and eliminates the need for a drain following surgery. There is less swelling and less chance for a seroma (fluid collection under the skin following surgery) because the lymphatics are preserved.  A mini tummy-tuck can be a great option for the right patient. Unfortunately, the techniques for mini tummy tucks can vary greatly depending on the surgeon, so it is important to understand which technique your plastic surgeon is recommending.  A mini tummy-tuck is usually best for patients who do not require repair of the abdominal muscles.  You can determine this for yourself by laying on your back, feeling your upper abdomen while doing a straight leg-lift with both legs.  If there is a bulge in your upper abdomen, then there is a separation (diastasis) of the muscles, which should be repaired through a modified or full tummy tuck. If the muscle does not bulge, then the excess fatty tissue may be removed by liposuction in combination with a mini tuck. Mini tucks don't always yield mini results. It is important for you to seek out a board- certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in body contouring and familiarity with some of the more advanced techniques in aesthetic abdominal surgery.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Removing excess skin with tummy tuck surgery

+2

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our Miami practice, we feel that as no two patients are the same so should every tummy tuck be unique. During the initial consult, was a great deal of time talking to the patient to understand their concerns, learn their aesthetic goals, and do a thorough physical evaluation to see what areas of the abdominal wall we may improve with body contouring. We inform patients that the length of the incision depends not on the muscle repair butt on the amount of skin or stretch marks the patient would like to have removed. In many of our mini tummy tuck patients, we perform a muscle repair through a tiny C-section incision. However we have also had patients that did not require muscle repair but did receive a longer incision because of the amount of stretch marks and excess lower abdominal fat that was necessary to remove for the optimal result. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon that has great deal of experience in liposuction, abdominoplasty, and body contouring techniques.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck for loose LOWER abdominal skin and muscle

+2

The Avelar is essentially a mini tummy tuck and corrects only mild LOWER abdominal skin excess and muscle laxity. If you have loose skin abve the umbilicus particularly when you flex you may be dissatisfied with the results

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consult, and you may need the full TT if they feel it would improve your outcome.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Be careful-  unless the correct diagnosis and treatment plan is designed  you may be dissatisfied with the end results of your surgery.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Tummy tuck options

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say what would benefit you, but if you have loose skin above and below the umbilicus( bell button) you may be better off with a full tummy tuck.

A Full Tummy Tuck for Excess Skin if my Muscle Are Not Stretched

+1

You did not post any photos so very hard to answer your questions. Seek additional in person opinions from boarded surgeons in your area. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Pictures help determine what your abdomin needs.

+1

It is hard to determine what you need without information . With stretch marks I would think you  have a fair amount of excess skin and that a full abdominoplasty would be more suitable. Either can result in irregularities.

You need to be evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon