When Should I Choose to get Full Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift, Close to Ideal Weight or Wait Until at Ideal Wait?

I am 5'4 weight is 164 my goal weight is 135 - I want a Full Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift I was thinking at 150 lb to have this procedure without ruining any of the results or should I wait till closer to 135 LB ? The breast lift I am worried about sagging after weight loss. The tummy tuck I believe would be ok ? Tentative Nov 19th that would give me 7 weeks to lost 14 more I am not sure I can do this - My age is 47 Hubby wants to go on vacation 2 weeks Jan 29th 2012

Mommy makeover and weight

+1

I think if you get close to your goal weight you should be fine to have a mommy makeover. It is  more of a concern when you are not even close.

Great idea to lose the weight before a tummy tuck and breast lift

+1

I absolutely love your question! it shows that you have done your homework and are willing to put in the effort before surgery to get the best result from your tummy tuck and breast lift.  There is no question that you will be happier as a result of your efforts.  Not only are you improving your end result, your risks for surgery goes down as you lose weight and you are increasing the likelihood that you will maintain your new figure. I wish everyone who is considering this surgery had your drive and attitude.

My usual recommendation is that you get to within 5-10 pounds of your goal weight before surgery. That being said, DO NOT starve yourself right before surgery to lose those final few pounds. It is imperative that you maintain a healthy diet prior to surgery, particularly with respect to protein intake.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

RE - "I am 5'4 weight is 164 my goal weight is 135 - I want a Full Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift I was thinking at 150 lb to have this procedure without ruining any of the results or should I wait till closer to 135 LB ? The breast lift I am worried about sagging after weight loss. The tummy tuck I believe would be ok ? Tentative Nov 19th that would give me 7 weeks to lost 14 more I am not sure I can do this - My age is 47 Hubby wants to go on vacation 2 weeks Jan 29th 2012"

Several questions in one. At 5'4" and 164 pounds your BMI is 28.15 classifying you as slightly overweight. If you could drop your weight to 150 with exercise and cutting out fats and carbohydrates AND KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF, it may be worth it. Dropping 30 pounds in a short period of time is hard to do safely and is often associated with a weight gain. Ideally, body contouring surgery should be done when your weight has been stable for 4-6 months (to prevent the sagging and deflation seen after weight loss.

As regards the timing of vacation, if your surgery does not involve any complications, you should have no problem with your vacation plans.

To wait for the right weight

+1

It is always best preop to get in your best physiologic state and to some ideal weight.  Crash diets usually set you up for rebound weight gain after your goal is reached.  I think that Weight Watchers has the most cost effective and realistic means to that end.  Go Patriots!

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Better results for breast lift and abdominoplasty if you lose your weight before surgery

+1

Ideally, patients should lose their weight before body contouring surgery.  The smaller patients are at the time of their surgery, the tighter plastic surgeons can tailor the skin at the breast lift and abdominoplasty.  Conversely, body contouring followed by weigh loss could lead to some sagging of the breasts and loosening of the abdominoplasty.  Breast do have fatty tissue mixed with the breast glandular tissue, and weigh loss can reduce the volume of the breast cup size.  A breast lift operation then followed by weight loss could, theoretically, lead to loosening of the breast lif skin envelope and saggin of the breast mound.  A similar scenario might occur with an abdominoplasty.  Prior efforts at weight loss may give you a hint, if previous weight loss has led to breast volume loss and slimming in the abdominal waist line area, as to whether post operative weight loss will affect your surgical outcomes with breast lift and abdominoplasty.

You do not state you r current weight.  Your ideal weight is apparently 135 lbs.  You say that you would like to have surgery at 150 lbs.  I would agree with the other consultants that getting to a weight that you can maintain is the realistic approach.  Perhaps that weight is 135 lbs., but you will have to consult with your physician, who can guide you towards the more realistic goal.

Hope that this information is helpful to you.  Good luck!

David N. Hing, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Weight-loss before tummy time?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your decision to proceed with the tummy tuck and breast lift procedures. I think you should proceed with the surgery when you are at a weight that you feel comfortable with in the long-term.   In other words, more important than “ideal weight” is that you do not experience any significant weight fluctuation after your procedures. Significant weight loss after procedures may change your surgical results to the point where further surgery becomes necessary.

I also have another piece of advice for you.  Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.

It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively. 
Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

Weight loss and body-contouring surgery

+1

See my numerous previous posts on this subject. In short, try to achieve a healthy, stable lifestyle and optimize your level of fitness. Your weight is less important but is a gauge of your progress.  You may or may not be able to achieve your ideal or target weight, and sometimes patients can become more unhealthy as they diet and exercise to extreme. You might consult with a plastic surgeon  now to help guide you in your program, although some plastic surgeons might have different philosophies. If your weight and lifestyle are not healthy or stable prior to surgery, your surgery may be inappropriate, and the results unpredictable, or not long-lasting.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

When to have surgery

+1

My advice is for you to be at our realistic weight.  It is unrealistic to loose a bunch of weight for surgery and then just gain it back again after surgery if you go back to your regular lifestyle.  So, having surgery at your everyday weight is usually my advice.  However, after examining you and discussing your expectations and motivations, we can develop a surgical plan and timeline.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD