Having a Full Tuck After a Mini Tuck, What Can I Expect? (photo)

I had requests for pictures. So I'm going to repost those and ask my question again. I had a mini tummy tuck on September 26, 2011..which I opted for. However, I am left with a lot of extra skin still. I talked with my PS about this and he suggested getting a FTT. According to him I am able to go ahead with the FTT whenever I like. If i go ahead and have this surgery will the scar be worse? Will having a full after a mini cause more scarring? my PS only uses local anesthetic..no sedation..safe?

Full tummy tuck after mini tummy tuck.

+2

A common complaint after a mini tummy tuck is the results. Many people get the wrong procedure when a mini tummy tuck is involved.  My general rule of thumb is:  if you have had kids or significant weight loss you get a full tummy tuck.  I reserve the mini for patients who have lost some weight.  Many guys who used to be more muscular and lost  size, fall into the catogory.  Also some post full tummy tucks who desire even more agressive results.  In your case you would definitely benefit from a full tummy tuck.

Good luck, and thank you for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Full Tummy Tuck After A Mini-Tuck-Expectations?

+2

Dear Danielle2950,  Thank you for including the photos with your question.  They really do speak a thousand words.  I think you would get an excellent result with a full-abdominoplasty(tummy tuck).  The ability to repair your diastasis(separation of your abdominal muscles) and remove the extra loose skin and fatty tissues will significantly improve your result-something a mini-tummy tuck never could have addressed given your photos.

I have two concerns regarding your pending full abdominoplasty procedure.  First, the timing.  After any surgery, there is a period of swelling and healing that occurs when it is not optimal to proceed with another surgery in the same area.  Yes, surgeons sometimes do have to return to the same area they just operated on but usually that is reserved for emergencies or other urgent problems.  I would suggest waiting three months or so before returning back to the OR for a full tummy tuck to obtain the best result possible.  Second, the use of local anesthesia alone without any sedation is worrisome.  The size of the area being operated on and the amount of local anesthesia that would be required is potentially dangerous and even life-threatening.  While there are some plastic surgeons who do perform tummy tucks using local anesthetic, they also use sedation and are very selective in which patients would perform this on.  Even then, most plastic surgeons would perform this procedure either under general anesthesia or under IV sedation.  Please ensure that your plastic surgeon is board certified and that your procedure is being performed at an accredited surgery center or hospital.  The surgery may be cosmetic but it is still real surgery with very real risks.  Thanks again for your question and good luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck yes, local anesthesia only no

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  You would be well served by a full tummy tuck with liposuction of the abdomen and flanks as well as muscle tightening.  I do not recommend doing this under local anesthesia only.  To achieve your best result possible all three components of the tummy tuck should be performed and should be performed to the extent that is needed.  The incision should not be worse and in fact may be similar to your current incision length.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Full Tummy Tuck after a Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for the pictures. First I think you need to make sure your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon. There are two concerns I have. First, I do not of any Plastic Surgeon that would do a full tummy tuck under local anesthesia only. I do my mini tummy tucks under local, but full tummy tucks I do under general anesthesia at a fully accredited surgery center. My second concern is that looking at that bent over photo, you were not a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck. You have loose skin above the belly button and a mini that not correct that. Also, looking at the side view, it appears that you need a full muscle repair as well.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Full tummy tuck after a mini tummy tuck

+1

Based on pictures It looks like you may be a great candidate for a full tummy tuck. 

Local anesthesia only?

• I do a lot of full tummy tucks without general anesthesia using deep IV sedation and local anesthesia.  I would not feel that I could do the same procedure without sedation, in my hands.  Make sure he is board certified in plastic surgery and operating in an accredited facility.

Timing?

• I would prefer to wait 3 months after the initial surgery for accuracy.

Scar?

• The scar will generally be longer after a full tummy tuck and there will be a scar around your umbilicus.

York Yates MD, Utah.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Full Tuck after Mini

+1

As all of my colleagues have mentioned, you certainly can have a full tummy tuck with what you still have after your mini. 

My personal preferences would allow you to heal for several months before proceeding and for general anesthesia.  I know of a doctor in Texas who uses Ketamine liberally to allow tummy tucks under local anesthesia but that is the exception to most doctors in our society.

I am wondering how your options were presented to you that allowed you to choose the mini-tuck over the full.  There are variations of mini-tucks as well and could possibly be used in your situation provided you accept whatever shortcomings there may be from each procedure.

Best wishes in achieving your desired goals.

Curtis Wong, MD

Full Tummy Tuck after Mini TT

+1

Usually a full tummy tuck is harder after a mini. In your case this may not be so. You seem to have enough tissue to make it possible. Of course I can't be certain without examining you, but it appears you may be OK.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Full abdominoplasty after mini tuck

+1

You would benefit from a full tummy tuck.  There will likely be a longer scar, but the scarring shouldnt be much different from the mini.   Regarding the local anesthesia, I do not think it is a great idea.  Please see the other discussions posted.  It would be beneficial to seek a second opinion.

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Thanks for the very informative photos. I believe that you would do well with a complete or full tummy tuck. It appears from the photos that you have laxity of the entire front (anterior) of the abdominal wall, and the entire abdomen needs tightening. I never do these surgeries under local anesthesia, since it is extensive and requires some degree of relaxation. Most surgeons do these under general anesthesia, but some use heavy sedation with or without epidural anesthetic. The amount of local ansthetic required would potentially be toxic if it was used alone. A mini tummy tuck only addresses the tummy below the belly button, and does very little for the upper abdomen, therefore I would recommend a complete tummy tuck. Please make sure that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and the facility used is accredited by an acceptable organization.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck after Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Its unfortunate that you are having to undergo a second procedure this soon after your first, but I do think you should have a good result from a full tummy tuck.  The skin above the belly button can only be addressed from this procedure. It does appear that you will need some degree of muscle tightening and this can be challenging under local anesthetic alone - as would a full tummy tuck.  I would consider getting a second opinion as this is an uncommon practice and make sure that your doctor is board certified as well. Occasionally, doctors don't do a general anesthetic because they cannot get privileges at a hospital or surgery center. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD