Having a Full Tuck After a Mini Tuck. Need Advice On Timing.

I had a mini tuck on September 26th,2011. which i opted for over the full. I am not satisfied with the results. Me and my PS talked about doing a full tuck. He said I could have it done whenever I was ready. Is it safe to to ahead and have the full tuck done in the next week or so? Or do I need to wait to heal. According to him, I can have it whenever I want. Just wanting to ask different opinions. Thanks for the advice!!

Best Timing for Revision of Tummy Tuck

+2

Hi there-

I'm sorry you did not get what you were hoping for... My personal opinion is that "mini" tummy tucks are very poorly designed operations with a very low rate of patient satisfaction over the long term.

On a happier note, however, revision with conversion to a more comprehensive technique has (in my own practice) been very succesful in achieving patient's goals.

I would advise waiting at least 2-3 months after the first procedure, in order to allow resolution of all swelling and better operative planning- it would be a shame for you to not be happy with the second operation too because you rushed to have it done.

Good luck!

Repeat Tummy tuck surgery?

+2

Although repeat surgery can be done " safely"  at this time I do not believe it is the best way to go. You are still in the healing phase with postoperative swelling etc. present. It will be hard to determine exactly what should be done to achieve  the results you are looking for.

I think you'd be better off waiting several months before proceeding with further surgery on the same area (unless it was an urgent/emergent situation).

Please make sure you are working with a well experienced certified plastic surgeon.

Second tummy tuck timing

+1

My recommendation is to wait at least six months after the initial operation to allow the tissues to heal and the swelling to subside so that you may obtain the best result possible.

Donna Rich, MD

Caution

+1

I have never be a fan of the mini tummy unless the patient is in great shape.  This is the problem.  A true mini tummy divides the belly button stalk so that the facia can be tightened.  If this was done and a tummy tuck done then the belly button would die.  If it was not divided you will do great, just a inconvenience.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Tummy Tuck - Having a Full Tuck After a Mini Tuck. Need Advice On Timing.

+1

I don't have hard statistics on this but my general sense is that it would be important to wait at least three months after the initial procedure and, probably more reasonably, six months.  It takes time for tissues to heal, for blood flow to reorient as it needs to and for all the inflammation, and early scar tissue, to settle down to the degree that it will.  Rushing into a secondary (and more complex) procedure is not advisable (even if it's not possible to say exactly when "too early" is).  Furthermore, in order to get maximum "stretch" with this procedure, you need to have had all the swelling from the first one absorbed; otherwise, there will be too much turgor (rigidity) in the remaining tissue.

I would give it about six months. 

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Waiting makes sense

+1

This is an intersting question since you don't identify why the mini was done instead of the full tummt tuck.  The main reason this choice is made is the cost of the procedure was too high or the recovery time to long with a full procedure.  However if your surgeon felt you weren't a candidate for the full procedure it doesn't make sense that you can go ahead and do it now so soon after the firsat procedure.  Not knowing what was done at your first surgery it is hard to comment except to say that waiting can be better.  This allows the blood supply to your skin to become more robust and decreases the chances you would have wound healing problems afterwards.  I would wait two to three months.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Full tummy tuck after mini tummy tuck

+1

Assuming your don't have any problems recovering from your first surgery, I recommend waiting a minimum of three months before undergoing a full tummy tuck, longer if you have had any problems.  Discuss this in detail with your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Repeat tummy tuck

+1

Revisions are, unfortunately, a part of plastic surgery.  Due to some issues with wound healing, it is advisable to wait at least 12 weeks until your secondary procedure.  Though this number is an estimate, the wound has to appear healed, with no drainage, redness, or swelling.  If it takes additional time for the incision to heal, then let it do so.  Remember, you want your skin and other tissues to be nice and soft, so they may be tightened appropriately.  Best wishes.

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck after mini tummy tuck

+1

My reason for waiting at least six months, and perhaps longer before converting mini to full tummy tuck is because as swelling resolves and healing progresses following your first procedure, skin elasticity and flexibility improves.  The skin is easier to stretch and move around to achieve the well positioned scar you probably prefer.  This is just my opinion however;  Not sure there is a definite right or wrong answer, depends on your anatomy and desired result.

Steve Laverson, MD

Should wait before undergoing a tummy tuck (if it is indicated)

+1

I concur with the assessments and the advice thathas already been mentioned including waiting for the swelling to go down prior to proceeding with surgery  (provided that additional surgery is the prudent thing to do). Without photographs, advice here can't be considered to be definitive and accurate.

You need to also realize that by preceding the full tummy tuck with a mini tummy tuck you will obtain a result that will be inferior and compromised compared to one you would have been able to obtain if you had underwent the more advisable full tummy tuck initially.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD