Full Tt 8 Weeks out with Plication-can I Weight Lift?

My surgeon is not allowing me to do anything other than walk or ride a bike for a full year, no crutches, no weights, no yoga, no Pilates. I lift heavy weights in my typical routine. I do not think I am capable of waiting a full year to to strengthen my core/extremities. Is it true that I will tear my stitches out if I start working out under a years time? I understand that I need to go slow and listen to my body. I am 44 and used to being strong, I feel weak.

Weightlifting post TT

+1

The best person to answer your questions is your surgeon.  There must be a reason your surgeon wants you to wait a year.  Have you asked your surgeon for the reasoning behind their strict recommendations? Perhaps they found a significant defect in your abdominal wall/musculature at the time of surgery.

I typically allow my patients to begin regular exercise at 6 weeks post-op.  I suggest they use common sense in regards to heavy exertion at this point, and stop what they're doing if they feel strain in their abdomen or pain.

If you don't follow your surgeon's instructions, you do so at your own risk.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Weight lifting after TT

+1

I allow my patients to do sit-ups at 6 weeks after surgery. Check with your surgeon if there was something unusual about what he found at surgery or what he had to do to explain these restriction that are more stringent than usual.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

8 Weeks out with Plication-can I Weight Lift

+1

Your surgeon knows better than anyone reading this on-line what the findings were and what was done, and therefore what sensible limitations are. Hopefully this was all discussed before surgery. 

There are no certainties here. It is not true that you will tear your stitches. Better to say that you may do so. 

Usually the incisions have reached 90% of the strength they will achieve by 6 weeks. This if not 90% of original strength, because scars are always weaker than unoperated tissue. Heavy excercise can break down the muscle tightening is ways that lighter activities will not.

Thanks, best wishes. 

Returning to Working Out after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Although I can understand your frustration, it is not advisable for you to seek online advice that would be contrary to what your plastic surgeon has recommended to you. Remember, that you have chosen your plastic surgeon for a reason and that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

If you have questions about his/her recommendations, I would suggest that you revisit these questions/concerns with him/her. Hopefully, this discussion will help to come up with a “happy medium” where you and your plastic surgeon are  happier with a gradual resumption of your workout schedule.