Full TT 4 Weeks Before Vaca Too Soon?

My husband and I have a paid trip to Cancun Jan 13th and I want to do my TT on Dec 15th because I have time off work (I work at a college so we have 3 weeks off for winter break). This gives me exactly 4 weeks before we leave for vacation. Will I be miserable on vacation? If I elect not to do the TT, I will have to wait until December 2011.

Tummy Tuck 4 Weeks Before Vacation In Cancun Is Risky

+4

Thank you for your question. Most patients recover satisfactorily to carry on her normal daily activities after 4 weeks post-tummy tuck surgery. However going on vacation to Cancun you want to feel your best and feel normal and be able to swim and engage in the various activities on your vacation. My advice if you were my patient would be to plan a 6 week recovery before doing foreign travel and engaging and vigorous activity.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/boston-tummy-tuck/boston-tummy-tuck-how-to-decide-if-you-need-an-abdominoplasty/

Vacation 4 Wks After Tummy Tuck

+2

That's really cutting it close.   I would tell you to go enjoy your vacation and plan for a tummy tuck later.   However, if you plan to just relax and not swim or do any strenuous activity, it may be OK.  Talk to your plastic surgeon.

Time off for tummy tuck

+2

Patients 4 weeks after tummy tucks are typically back to work and doing mild aerobic exercise.  They are by no means fully recovered.

So if your vacation consists of splashing around in the water a little and drinking Mai Tai's, you should typically be fine.  However, if parasailing and scuba diving are on your list, you will want to postpone your surgery.

Patients generally feel OK doing more strenuous exercise after 6-8 weeks.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/tummy-tuck-procedure.php

TT recovery

+1

I would recommend waiting.  You may not be very comfortable on vacation and if a complication shoul occur, then you may have minor dressing changes to do on vacation which would also be uncomfortable and possibly unsanitary.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Traveling after a Tummy Ttuck

+1

It would be risky to go on vacation only 4 weeks after Tummy Tuck surgery. You should be wearing a compression garment for 6 weeks. If you are going to Cancun I would assume that you would want to wear a bathing suit and partake in water activities. I would recommend that you see if you can postpone your trip so that you can really enjoy your vacation when you are more fully healed.

Recovery Time after tummy Tuck

+1

The last thing you want to do is spend all of the time on vacation being unable to fully participate as you recover from a fairly major operation.  Even though the name tummy tuck sound cute and easy, it is a real hit to your abdomen and we use our abdomen in almost every movement we make.  The abdomen is either stabilizing us as we do something with our arms, or it is helping to propel us forward while we walk, reach or run.  A vacation that is focused on healing an operation does not sound like a great way to spend your time or money.  My advice is to wait on the operation or move the vacation.  Give yourself 6 weeks between surgery and vacation at least.

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

Recovery after a tummy tuck is usually 2weeks so you should be OK unless you experience some delayed healing, complications. There will definitely still be swelling and the scar will not look that great but you should be able to do most everything. Consult with your plastic surgeon though. Watch my You Tube videos

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck recovery

+1

If you are leaving for a vacation in 4 weeks, I would advise waiting until after the vacation.  You may be recovered at 4 weeks, but it is typical to have intermittent aches and pains for several weeks following this procedure.  Additionally, if you are unfortunate enough to experience a minor complication, this may affect your travel plans.  Good luck~

I tell my patients that they need at least 4 weeks before traveling after having a tummy tuck.

+1

I tell my patients that they need at least 4 weeks before traveling after having a tummy tuck.  This is cutting it pretty close for you.

If you have any type of complication like wound healing, excess drainage, infection, etc (all of which are pretty rare) it could destroy your vacation. 

It's like Murphy's law.  You would probably be fine if everything goes well, but because you have a nice vacation planned you're probably going to have a problem.

If I were you I would wait.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Beach vacation 4 weeks after a tummy tuck?

+1

You're cutting it really close.  If you can change your vacation to February, that would be better.  Give yourself at least 6 weeks of recovery.  You may be okay for your vacation after only 4 weeks, but you'll still have swelling and still be wearing compression garments.  And what if you do have an infection or a wound healing problem?  Do you want to be dealing with that on your vacation?  Better safe than sorry, I think.