Will I Be Able to Get a Full TT with a Short Scar? (photo)

I met with quite a few PS's before selecting my PS. 2 of them I consulted with told me I can get a Full TT with a short scar just a little bit longer that my c -section scar on each side. You can see the scar in my picture. So full muscle repair & a full TT to address my belly button and below and most all stretch marks. Is this possible to do a shorter scar TT on me or will it have to be from hip bone to hip bone? I have included a picture. Why did only 2 offer me that is it even possible?

Full tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.  Based on what you show, you will likely need a scar from hip bone to hip bone in order to get rid of the extra skin.  The scar can be kept low.  If the length  of the scar is kept short, then you run the risk of having loose skin ldeft over that is puckered at the ends.

Visible TT scars

+1

The best way to hide TT scars is to make them as low and small as possible so they are covered by your underwear or bathing suit.  However, if you have a large amount of hanging skin, the scars will have to be longer for more extensive skin removal.  Incisions do not go behind your back unless you are having a circumferencial lift (body lift).  The scars never go to the belly button for a routine TT.  Losing weight is a good idea to optimize your result.  Recent articles on abdominoplasty combined with mesh describes weight loss and long term maintenance of the reduced weight.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Length of scar for tummy tuck

+1

Given your photos, you are going to be a good candidate for full tummy tuck.  Based on the side view of your photo, you would most likely have a scar from hip bone to hip bone.  The length of scar depends on the amount of excess skin you have.  It is more important to have a better contour and the lowest possible location for scar  than the extent (length) of your scar. If the scar is placed low (under the bikini line), you should not be able to see the scar.  Try not to compromise the contour due to the length of the scar.   Good luck to you.

Sugene Kim, MD

Always choose contour over scar length

+1

Great photos, thank you.  You appear to be a great candidate for a full tummy tuck.  The biggest component of how long the scar will be is the amount of tissue that needs to be removed.  Choose the very lowest location that the final incision should be an then choose the area just above your belly button.  As you will see in order to include all of this area in a "football shaped" pattern or elliptical incision the ends of that ellipse will need to be a certain reasonable length away from the center and then consequently the scar length will have to be a reasonable length.  The smaller the scar is artificially made below this length the smaller the amount of tissue that will need to be removed or the more skin bunching you will have when the incision is finally closed.

I have included a link to one of my before and after photos to show how if the incision is low, the length is not really the main issue.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Scar length and tummy tuck

+1

The degree of lower abdominal laxity determines the length of the tummy tuck scar.  Your laxity does seem to be mostly between the hip bones, so you should be able to keep the scar between these two points.  Your question on full tummy tuck feasibility is a good one.  You can get the full tummy tuck with the short scar.  This means your muscles can be reapproximated and belly button disconnected and then sewn into the new skin location. Good luck.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Tummy tuck scar

+1

I think you will do great with your tummy tuck.  In my opinion your incision will need to go somewhere between a short scar and hip to hip because of the amount of skin you have.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Short Scar Tummy tuck

+1

Judging by your photos I think you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. It is important to remember that the the length of the scar is directly related to how much excess skin is present and how much you and your surgeon want to remove.  To remove more skin a longer scar is necessary.  Placement of the scar is more important, in my opinion than length.  You want the scar to be as low as possible so it will be covered by most clothing and bathing suits. You do not want a tummy tuck scar where your c section scar is because its too high.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Short scar tummy tuck?

+1

From the photos it already looks like the fold of skin extends almost from hip to hip. Also, either your c-section scar is a bit high, or your belly button is a bit low. This is important when considering where your tummy tuck scar will be relative to your waist. i suspect you would get the best result with a standard tummy tuck scar. The more skin you want removed and the tighter the "look", the long the scar needs to be - in general.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tummy Tuck Scar?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You should have a very nice result from tummy tuck surgery through an incision extending your C-section scar. I would suggest,  for the most accurate information,  that you have your chosen plastic surgeon show you what his plan is with a drawing on your abdomen. Be careful that you don't push to have the scar kept short and end up with “dog ears”  (extra skin) at each end of the incision line.

Full Tummy Tuck with a Short Scar?

+1

You have an unusually long and unusually high C-section scar which is adherent to the muscle, resultling in a skin roll there. It would make sense to have that removed, and keep your tummy tuck scar as low as possible so it can potentially be covered by a two piece bathing suit. If you a have a full TT then there will be quite a bit of skin removed and your scar will need to be as long as is needed to not leave you with any dog ears. Likely that will extend from hip bone to hip bone. Better to focus on getting all the other components of the TT right and accept and somewhat longer scar.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon