Full Tummy Tuck w/ Lipo and Breast Augmentation - Is This Safe?

I'm 30 yrs old, 5'3" 130 lbs, athletic, and good health. I'm scheduled for May 11, 2011. My surgery consists of a full tummy tuck, liposuction of back, flanks, inner knees, and slightly around the inner thighs. Also I'm getting a breast augmentation under the muscle. Is that too much??? My PS seems very optimistic about it and has been practicing for over 30 yrs. He's also one of the top plastic surgeons in Houston, Tx but I'm still a little nervous about it. Is this common?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

+2

Indeed there is such a thing as too much surgery, but combining breast augmentation,  tummy tuck and even some liposuction at the same time is common.  The key is that you must be in good health and a good candidate for these procedures and your surgeon must use appropriate judgement. You must also be comfortable with the risks and benifits of each of these operations and give yourself enough time to recover.

When I perform multiple procedures I tell my patients that if one operation takes longer than expected or there is more blood loss than expected I may not  perform procedure number two or number three.  It's always important to be safe first.  In multiple procedures is important to me that all patients have normal blood tests prior to surgery as well. I limit the amount of liposuction to less than five liters for an outpatient surgery in accordance with the guidelines of the American Society of plastic surgery.

If you're worried or uncomfortable with multiple procedures you can certainly separate them.  The benefit of combining procedures is often some degree of cost savings and one recovery rather than multiple recoveries.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Combining Multiple Plastic Surgery Procedures- Is it safe ?

+3

More people are now choosing to have multiple plastic surgery procedures at one time because of constraints in taking time off from work. The safety of combining multiple plastic surgery procedures depends on your health, extent and length of the procedures, and the support that the surgery facility is going to offer you. Most plastic surgeons agree that a healthy patient can easily handle about 6-8 hours of surgery as long as the surgery is not risky or involve significant blood loss.

Many women are now combining breast augmentation with tummy tuck and liposuction of their flanks and parts of their legs into a combined procedure called "Mommy Make Over".

Web reference: http://www.beautifulfigure.com/losangelesbevhills-mommymakeover.htm

Mommy Makeover Can Be Done Safely

+2

The combination of tummy tuck, liposuction and breast augmentation is often referred to as a "mommy makeover".  This combination of procedures can be done safely with the right patient, the right surgeon, the right anesthesia provider and the right setting.  It sounds like you are young and healthy and your surgeon has many years of experience.  The anesthesia could be general or IV sedation and the setting could be outpatient or with an overnight stay.  Be sure to ask your surgeon and his staff any questions that you might have.  Follow your surgeon's instructions for post-operative care.  You should have a good experience and great results. 

Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with Breast Augmentation

+2

In a healthy, non smoker patient with your height and weight and as long as your surgeon is a well qualified  plastic surgeon  this combination of procedures should be safe. You should thoroughly discuss with your surgeon issues regarding the recovery period, do's and don'ts after surgery, as well as things you can do to prevent complications.

The discomfort following a combined breast augmentation and abdominoplasty should be adequately controlled with oral pain medications.  Good luck!

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Combining Procedures

+2

Combination procedures have a certain set of concerns that must be addressed, and your care during and after surgery are equally important.

I agree with all the other posters here....an experienced and qualified surgeon is a requirement.  The proper surgical setting, equipment,  and staff are also important. My personal choice is to perform these larger and longer surgeries in a small private speciality hospital with an overnight stay rather than in an office or surgicenter setting.

Combined procedures are common and safe

+2

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Please make sure your PS is  board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.. He/she will determine the how long it will take and whether you are a safe/good candidate for these combined procedures. Depending on the length of your surgery, an overnight stay may be recommended.  Best of luck.

Bob Basu, MD, MPH, FACS

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com/houston-plastic-surgery-procedures/breast/houston-mommy-makeover/

A tummy tuck, liposuction and breast augmentation performed in 1 surgical setting is not excessive

+2

Performing a tummy tuck along with some liposuction and a breast augmentation is a quite common combination of procedures - fitting into the category of mommy makeovers. To your benefit, you youthfulness and healthiness will help keep the risks of major issues low. Having an experienced plastic surgeon should provide you with the opportunity for a nice transformation in one procedure which also means overall less down time and costs.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Tummy tuck SAL and breast augmentation

+2

It is certainly possible to perform a tummy tuck, SAL and a breast augmentation in one operative setting for the appropriate patient.

Mommy makeover or multiple surgeries- is it safe?

+2

Mommy makeovers such as the one you describe are commonly performed and the safety level is quite high in experienced reputable hands.

Of course two surgeries at one time carry more risk than a single surgery; however is that risk the same or greater than when each surgery is performed separately?

A reasonable amount of time for a surgery is 6 to seven hours for an outpatient surgery in an otherwise healthy patient.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/index.php

+2

This is not an uncommon combination of procedures in an otherwise young healthy individual.  Nonetheless the potential for complications does go up as more surgery and more time in the operating room takes place under one setting.  That being said it is important to express these concerns with your plastic surgeon until you feel comfortable will his/her answers.  Best of luck for a beautiful result...