Full Tummy Tuck w/ Lipo and Breast Augmentation - Is This Safe?

I'm 30 yrs old, 5'3" 130 lbs, athletic, and good health. I'm scheduled for May 11, 2011. My surgery consists of a full tummy tuck, liposuction of back, flanks, inner knees, and slightly around the inner thighs. Also I'm getting a breast augmentation under the muscle. Is that too much??? My PS seems very optimistic about it and has been practicing for over 30 yrs. He's also one of the top plastic surgeons in Houston, Tx but I'm still a little nervous about it. Is this common?

Combining Multiple Plastic Surgery Procedures- Is it safe ?

+3

More people are now choosing to have multiple plastic surgery procedures at one time because of constraints in taking time off from work. The safety of combining multiple plastic surgery procedures depends on your health, extent and length of the procedures, and the support that the surgery facility is going to offer you. Most plastic surgeons agree that a healthy patient can easily handle about 6-8 hours of surgery as long as the surgery is not risky or involve significant blood loss.

Many women are now combining breast augmentation with tummy tuck and liposuction of their flanks and parts of their legs into a combined procedure called "Mommy Make Over".

Mommy Makeover Can Be Done Safely

+2

The combination of tummy tuck, liposuction and breast augmentation is often referred to as a "mommy makeover".  This combination of procedures can be done safely with the right patient, the right surgeon, the right anesthesia provider and the right setting.  It sounds like you are young and healthy and your surgeon has many years of experience.  The anesthesia could be general or IV sedation and the setting could be outpatient or with an overnight stay.  Be sure to ask your surgeon and his staff any questions that you might have.  Follow your surgeon's instructions for post-operative care.  You should have a good experience and great results. 

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with Breast Augmentation

+2

In a healthy, non smoker patient with your height and weight and as long as your surgeon is a well qualified  plastic surgeon  this combination of procedures should be safe. You should thoroughly discuss with your surgeon issues regarding the recovery period, do's and don'ts after surgery, as well as things you can do to prevent complications.

The discomfort following a combined breast augmentation and abdominoplasty should be adequately controlled with oral pain medications.  Good luck!

Miguel A. Yáñez, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Combining Procedures

+2

Combination procedures have a certain set of concerns that must be addressed, and your care during and after surgery are equally important.

I agree with all the other posters here....an experienced and qualified surgeon is a requirement.  The proper surgical setting, equipment,  and staff are also important. My personal choice is to perform these larger and longer surgeries in a small private speciality hospital with an overnight stay rather than in an office or surgicenter setting.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Combined procedures are common and safe

+2

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Please make sure your PS is  board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.. He/she will determine the how long it will take and whether you are a safe/good candidate for these combined procedures. Depending on the length of your surgery, an overnight stay may be recommended.  Best of luck.

Bob Basu, MD, MPH, FACS

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

A tummy tuck, liposuction and breast augmentation performed in 1 surgical setting is not excessive

+2

Performing a tummy tuck along with some liposuction and a breast augmentation is a quite common combination of procedures - fitting into the category of mommy makeovers. To your benefit, you youthfulness and healthiness will help keep the risks of major issues low. Having an experienced plastic surgeon should provide you with the opportunity for a nice transformation in one procedure which also means overall less down time and costs.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy tuck SAL and breast augmentation

+2

It is certainly possible to perform a tummy tuck, SAL and a breast augmentation in one operative setting for the appropriate patient.

Mommy makeover or multiple surgeries- is it safe?

+2

Mommy makeovers such as the one you describe are commonly performed and the safety level is quite high in experienced reputable hands.

Of course two surgeries at one time carry more risk than a single surgery; however is that risk the same or greater than when each surgery is performed separately?

A reasonable amount of time for a surgery is 6 to seven hours for an outpatient surgery in an otherwise healthy patient.

Brent Moelleken, MD

+2

This is not an uncommon combination of procedures in an otherwise young healthy individual.  Nonetheless the potential for complications does go up as more surgery and more time in the operating room takes place under one setting.  That being said it is important to express these concerns with your plastic surgeon until you feel comfortable will his/her answers.  Best of luck for a beautiful result... 

Ryan Stanton, MD

How much is too much: breast, tummy, liposuction?

+2

It sounds like you have certainly done your homework.  Cosmetic surgery in an outpatient setting should be limited to 6-7 hours for your safety.  The risks of blood loss, anesthesia, blood clots and infection increase with long surgeries.  

Board certified plastic surgeons perform procedures such as the one you describe routinely, but I would urge you to discuss any concerns you may have and review the length of the procedure with your surgeon.  Breast augmentation in combination with tummy tuck and liposuction is commonly referred to as the "mommy makeover" and will usually achieve a very nice result. Check with your primary doctor first before any long surgical procedure if you have any concerns over your medical history.  Otherwise, you sound young and healthy so I am sure you will be pleased with your outcomes.  Good luck and enjoy!

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon