Lots of Excess Skin 5 Months Post-Op TT, Should I Have to Pay For Mini TT Revision?

I had a full TT in April of this year. I have some poofy skin above the incision line that I'm not happy with. And a dog ear on my right.It looks wrinkly when I bend over, like I still have excess skin. My PS says I could benefit from a mini TT in a few months if I'm really unhappy with it. Does this situation happen often and am I expected to pay for a whole new surgery to make the original look the way it should have? Or might he be willing to work with me since I've alreay paid him $7000.

Revision tummy tuck

+1

SOme patients have lousy skin elasticity and you may be one of those.  The lax skin may be able to be revised a bit, but the fee is something to discuss with your surgeon. 

Tummy Tuck Revision

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your pictures I think you may have significant loss of skin elasticity/tone which explains the appearance of the abdominal skin when you are flexed at the waist. Overall, I think your plastic surgeon has done a nice job for you, although revisionary surgery may be very helpful in removing additional skin and possibly lowering the scar in the pubic area.

Please remember, that during the initial tummy tuck surgery excision, if too much skin had been  excised you would potentially  have experienced postoperative complications such as wound separation and/or  abnormal scarring. However, at this time revisionary surgery,  including excision of additional skin, can be done safely.

I think you should continue follow-up with your plastic surgeon. He/she is most familiar and most motivated to improve your results. It is likely that he/she “will be  willing to work with you” ( every office has different policy).

Loose skin following a tummy tuck.

+1

It is not uncommon to have some laxity several months following a tummy tuck. The degree of laxity depends upon the elastic nature of your skin. If you had lost a lot of weight which led to saggy skin prior to your tummy tuck, it is very common to need a revision. Keep in mind that everyone has stomach wrinkles when they sit down - if you didn't, you would not be able to stand up! As for revision surgery, there is no standard. Most surgeons will go through their office policy regarding revision and costs prior to the original operation. A simple phone call to your surgeons office will answer this for you.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Looseness after tummy tuck

+1

It looks to me that your skiin has very little elasticity left, possibly due to weight changes prior to your tummy tuck. This means that no matter how tight your skin was made during the tummy tuck, there is usually more loosening afterwards than someone who has not had these changes. Or your skin has poor elasticity to begin with. If your surgeon took out enough skin to make it tight when you are bent over, you would not be able to stand up. The puffiness you describe is common, and due to the cutting of the skin, and it can take 8 to 12 months for that to completely disappear, and sometimes never does. As far as costs are concerned, that is a matter of office policy: most plastic surgeons will only charge a small revision fee, if any, and as mentioned, facility and anesthesia costs.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes you need revision. In my practice I do not charge a personal fee but the costs of the operating room and staff are most likely your responsibilty. In MIAMI that fee $1200.