Should I Get a Full Tt After a Mini or Just Liposuction? (photo)

I had a mini tt on 4/31/12. I only had loose skin below the belly button and had a mini tt. I am 5'4" 154 lbs. He removed 3 inches of skin and lipoed out 250cc on my flanks. However, I have a pouch above the suture line. Should I have had a full tt. As you can see my belly button is not saggy. Do I have enough skin to do a full tt? Or do I just need to have the fat pouch above the suture line sucked out?

Revisionary Tummy Tuck Surgical Options?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Despite the good quality pictures, I would need to examine you and discuss your goals fully to be able to give you good advice.

For example, if abdominal wall laxity is an issue ( when you are in the bent/flexed position) then abdominal wall plication (possibly a tummy tuck operation). On the other hand, if your major concern is the “pouch above the suture line”,  then a limited skin/subcutaneous tissue excision above the incision line may be all that is required to achieve your goals.

For other readers of this post who are considering mini tummy tuck surgery a few words of caution may be in order.  In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice   to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:
1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Full tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  It depends on what result you would like to achieve.  I think you would get the best result from a full tummy tuck as well as liposuction of the abdomen and flanks.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Secondary surgery after mini-TT

+1

You'll get a better suggestion with an in person evaluation, but the photos you sent are very helpful. Overall it looks like a nice result, though I don't have a pre-op for comparison. I think that would would be best served by having a bit more skin excised from above the incision. Doing liposuction would leave a high chance of still needing skin removed at still another procedure. I don't see where doing a full TT will add to your outcome.

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Should I Get a Full Tt After a Mini or Just Liposuction?

+1

Great posted photos. But hard to answer. You to me are on the border line. A mini might work but a full TT will offer the best tightening but thescar location might be higher or you could have a vertical incision above the horizontal one. 

Liposuction

+1
Hello, From your picture your not able to see if you have lose skin. Seeing a plastic surgeon would be able to give a more accurate treatment plan. From the picture looks liked you would get good results.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Full tummy tuck after mini

+1

Thank you for posting photos. It is likely you have enough skin for a full tummy tuck. Of course, only a physical consultation can tell for sure. It might be quite tight.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon