My results after a syringe of Restylane are fading fast, is this normal? (photos)

Had a full syringe of Restylane injected into tear troughs, nasial folds & marionette lines. Restylane tear trough results fading at 3 month mark.

Restylane an under eye treatment

+1
To properly inject all of those areas in one appointment would definitely take more than one syringe.  I would return to your treating physician for more Restylane to help correct the area.  It sounds like your physician was just being conservative and probably did not want to over treat you in those areas which is a common problem.

Restylane under eye treatment

+1
Hello nicobluews. In general I typically use a base of 0.5 cc  (or half a syringe) under each lower lid. This is quite conservative and I explain to the patients that they will most likely require more to acheive the desired correction. I often bring patients back after two weeks to add more onto this base. It is necessary to inject this in the correct area and I personally use blunt cannulas especially up near the actual tear trough (near the nose). The level of bruising you had isnt very typical in my practice. A visit to someone well versed in facial cosmetic surgery or someone who actually does surgery on the face is usually the best injector as they are very aware of the anatomic and surgical layers of this delicate region. All in all I simply think you need a bit more product.  Good Luck!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

My results after one syringe of Restylane are fading fast?

+1
It is likely that not enough of the Restylane was injected for you to obtain the desired effect. I would recommend following up with your injector, as a touch-up may help obtain better results. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Not enough Restylane

+1
One syringe of Restylane is typically not enough for all three of those areas - even if you just need minor correction.  The tear trough area can also be tricky in that people tend to be a little cautious in the area so your injector may not have placed enough there.  I would recommend that you return to your injector and this time you I'm guessing you'll need 2 syringes of Restyane.

Erica Linnell, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Filler fading quickly

+1
1 syringe of Restylane filler is 1cc of substance, which is not a lot. Typically this would be enough for the tear trough alone. I think having treated several areas as you did, each has a slight improvement, but you may have been under dosed and so the initial swelling in the tear trough has now left and you're left with insufficient filler in the tear trough. I find fillers like Restylane in the tear trough to be very effective and have terrific longevity, often more than 1 year. Make sure an expert injector such as a dermatologist does your treatments so that the filler is placed at the right depth and in the right amount, and with the right symmetry.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Fading injection results

+1
most probably the initial swelling due to ijection is decreasing and that why you notice fading of the results, 

Ali Totonchi, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Restylane disappearing?

+1
I agree with all that dr. Fitzgerald said. I think that a small amount of product was spread so thin that you are not going to be happy with the results in any of the areas. You probably had some initial swelling and when it went down you felt that you were losing product. However, there are fast metabolizers as well. I would speak to your doctor about doing more next time.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

What's "enough" filler for under eye hollowing?

+1
Restylane to correct hollows under the eye is a great solution and works very well. The initial response can include some swelling that may make it appear you had enough filler to start with.

But a syringe of any filler is not much in terms of volume. A single syringe equals just a tiny bit more than one-fifth of a teaspoon.

As the physicians who answered previously suggested, it is likely you did not receive enough. (Though this is a much better option than getting too much and many physicians will take a step approach and add more filler after a couple of weeks if needed).

Barring the not enough explanation, some people simply have a higher level of natural enzymes that break down hyaluronic gel fillers and there is no way to know this beforehand.

Depending on the thickness of your skin, you may be a candidate for Perlane, which is a more robust formula of Restylane with a little more staying power.

You had considerable bruising. It's not always possible to avoid completely, but ask about filler placement with microcannula and also ask your physician for a list of supplements and over the counter medications like ibuprofen to avoid prior to injections. Both will make a big difference in how much you bruise - or if you bruise at all.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Restylane in tear troughs and other areas

+1
You probably did not get eenough product injected. One syringe for all those areas is nothing.  

Restylane Results Fading Fast

+1
Hi Nico.  The reason that the product appears to be goign away is that you did not get enough of it.  Based on your before pictures, you could have used 2 CC's of product just in the tear trough.  If there was product placed in the lower face too, there was simply not enough of it to go around.  You will get proper duration (6-12 months for tear trough) with the proper amount of product injected and this would be no less than 2 CC's for the under eye area lone.  Hope this helps.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD